1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Veg plot soil Ph

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ericmull, Mar 16, 2020.

1. ericmull

ericmull Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My veg have been getting of poorer quality over the last two or thee years, so I did a soil test, the Ph was almost off the scale at 4.5 and the nitrogen was well below normal, I dig over in early winter there is not a great depth before I get to clay(about 1 spit) I try to get a little up each year and add grit and organic material, I believe clay is acidic and wonder if this could be the cause. Also what would you recommend to bring up the level of Ph to 6-7 and improve Nitrogen levels.
    Many thanks to all who comment Eric (old enough to worry about corona virus)

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi and Welcome,

Sounds like you need to add some Lime !

You can buy 'garden lime' at many stores, just follow the packets instructions.

If you are growing Brassicas which need a high PH then you might have to double the application rate for them with the ph being so low at the moment, though would split it a month or so apart.

Your soil sounds similar to ours, so the best way to impove things , depending on the size of the plot, is to get some timber and make a raised bed adding in plenty of good compost and manure, though again not too much in one go as it can cause problems for some plants.

You do not have to use railway sleepers ! we used some cheap 6" x7/8" treated gravel boards screwd to 2" pegs, even that small height can make a great difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,977
      4.5 ph is pretty low, lime would work but it might take a while, best not to add too much at one time, would have been good to have got some on in the autumn and let the rain wash it in.

I have clay but it tends to be alkaline.

For nitrogen alone you could try sulphate of ammonia, but again, be careful of adding too much at one time.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Think after all the rains this winter your soil would do better by using a more general fertiliser like GrowMore which includes all three basic elements, adding just Nitrogen might give too much leafy growth.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,977
          Well the manure route would be best in the long run, as you suggested @ricky101 , but it again would make the soil acidic.

Are we assuming the other two main feeds, phosphate and potash are in good supply?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,155
          Clay itself is neutral, my allotment is clay and quite alkaline whereas I know in other areas it can be acidic.

Not sure what you mean by :

If you mean you are digging up the sub soil then that's not good.

Grit and organic material are a good thing, sharp sand is cheap and will also improve clay.