VEGETABLES IN CONTAINERS

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by RONO, Apr 12, 2005.

1. RONO

RONO Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP REF MY TOMATOES SEEDLINGS HAVE STARTED AGAIN
    I AM TRYING TO GROW VEG IN TUBS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR HAS ANY ONE ANY DOES AND DONTS WHICH MAY HELP REGARDS RONO

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Rono let us know how you get ton with the Toms. The main thing that id say for growing in pots is dont let them dry out ever ever. You can get nifty little irrigation systems that work on a timer so even if you go away for a week the pots will be fine. Sorry i cant find the website that i saw them on.

4. RONO

RONO Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP MRS CLOUDY I WILL GO AND LOOK FOR THE WATERING SYSTEMS THEY WILL BE A HELP IN THE SEASON IWAS TOLD THAT IF I DRILLED HOLES ABOUT 1 INCH HIGH ROUND THE SIDES OF THE CONTAINERS TO CREATE A RESERVOUR IN THE BOTTOM MY WORRY IS WOULD THERE BE A BUILD UP OF TO MUCH CHEMICALS THROUGH FEEDING DURING THE SEASON ANY ADVICE PLEASE

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Feed with Liquid Seaweed, at the recommended doses & the plants will take up the nutrients to meet their needs - its much better than "artificial" feeds especially if you're going to be eating the stuff. Only drill holes round the sides if there are none in the bottom of containers. Clay pots dry out the quickest unless you line them with plastic. Put some crocks at the bottom or a layer of gravel. I find if you put an old teabag in the bottom over the hole it helps + mix water retaining granules with your potting mix. NB mixes containing peat dry out quicker & are harder to re-wet. Use a Loam based compost, add a handful of pelleted poultry manure at planting time.
    Try this link for watering systems http://www.garden4less.co.uk/automatic_watering_systems.asp?PARTNER=ga

6. RONO

RONO Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for your advice bayleaf i will have a go will be going to purchase the feed you sugested thanks again rono