1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Verbena Bonariensis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Apr 24, 2020.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    333BFB72-175E-4BEC-B50B-5C9259D85B59.jpeg D45D9317-1F72-4B46-AB91-A7ACB360E1DF.jpeg I hastily cut back the Verbenas in my back garden to about 12 inches in feb, then as new buds showed at the base, I removed all the old foliage as shown in the good healthy picture.

The ones in the front garden don’t get much sunlight as they are behind a wall however. I cut them back to 12” so the tops would still get some light but new buds seem to only be developing at the top of the old stems. Will these still thrive albeit on last years growth? or do I have to cut down to the base now and hope buds appear at the base?

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi @kriss I do exactly the same as you, the ones in your front garden will grow fine from the top but will look a bit odd I suppose but I'd do as you have done and if they start sprouting then do as you've done with the others.

3. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    Nice one, cheers. I have this problem with most perennials in the front garden. It’s west facing, small and with a hedge and wall! So plants in the borders get a fleeting hour or two of sun late afternoon!