1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vermiculite or Perlite

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Fat Controller, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,495
    What is the difference between the two, which is better, and why?

2. DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +772
    • Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Well first they can be horrendously expensive per bag in GC's ! I buy mine at Wilkos which is reasonable per 10 litre bag. This will last a season if you are an average seed sower. I use vermiculite as a light covering when I surface sow seeds. It is sterile , holds moisture and lets light through. So it make a nice environment for the seeds . Perlite looks like polystyrene balls , this I mix with the seed compost for my more delicate seeds to keep it light and airey . I also use it at 25% in my hanging baskets , its to expensive to use in all my planters.
      Now does it give improved results - I don't really know without back to back tests !

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,320
        I use vermiculite with all seed sowing either neat or mixed with multipurpose compost, holds the water but you dont get that soggy mess when just compost is used.

Perlite I use with Johninnes compost's to lighten the structure 25% , this year I am going to use this in my hanging baskets rather that multi purpose and see how they get on

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,495
          Thanks guys - I've seen that I can get 100L of perlite for around £20, and 100L of vermiculite for around £25, which is massively cheaper than it would be from the garden centre (I reckon the saving is £30-£40; while I probably won't need 100L for a season for seed sowing, if I can use it to improve water retention and to break up the compost a bit in my planters, then I will go for it.

So, it looks like the vermiculite is the more flexible of the two?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,495
          Thanks Spruce - my baskets could have been better last year, mostly due to water retention I think; the other thing I am trying to avoid is that end of season 'brick' of compost that comes out of the pots and planters (must confess, I have been lazy and left last years in the pots so far).

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          I bought a 100l bag of perlite from my local hydroponic place about 13 squid if I recall, it doesnt go off so will last a fair time.;)

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,320

My New begonia book they start all the tubers of in multipurpose , then after that John inns no 2 and thats for the show baskets as well , then Chempack no 2 every other watering at 1/4 strength of what it says on the box then July on wards Chempack no 4 same every other watering 1/4 , so having a go and we will wait and see , still going to put swell gell in the bottom of the basket in a cereal bowl as a reservoir.

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,495
              100 litre bag ordered from Amazon - £23.99 delivered :dbgrtmb:

• Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,320
              @fat controller
              I should of said Perlite with the John innes

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,495
              The vermiculite will do a similar job to the perlite from what I can gather though?

If I have to get perlite as well, I am not too bothered to be honest - I will just get it later as things grow a bit?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              We *made* him buy that too, Mrs FC :pathd:

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,495
                :wub2: Thank you @"M" - you are a wee saviour :) No wonder you got appointed to the WILLIE team.

• Funny Funny x 1
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Not really , I would buy both .

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,667
                    I bought mine, in years gone by, from a horticultural place in big bags (100L I guess). Last year I bought a bag from Hydroponics shop online as I was buying other things ... it was nothing like the same ... and that has caused me to realise that there are different grades. You could just get Perlite of Vermiculite as "insulation" from a Shed and I expect it would be cheaper, but I reckon it will be the wrong grade.

Hydroponics usage is pretty coarse. I think it is classed as P45 (which I think is 4-5mm). What I have found works for me is P25 (which I think is 2-5mm).

I used a lot more of the Hydroponics grade to get the "feel" in the compost, and I don't think it worked as well.

With the P256 grade I add Perlite 10% to Multi purpose 90% and find it significantly improves it. It improves drainage, not sure how important that is for most things, but the key thing I find is that it stops the compost compressing. If I pot something up in 100% Multipurpose and grow it on for several months the compost settles down (through watering) and it compacts. With Perlite that doesn't happen (a downside is that when potting on the rootball doesn't cling together as tightly / well, so can fall apart on repotting if the roots are not really well developed - its a minor hassle though, I think the plants grow on much better)

I don't bother for things that will be potted on quickly - e.g. Tomatoes - and I use more Perlite for things that need really good drainage. e.g. for cuttings I use 50:50

I use them differently. I use Perlite for drainage and openness of compost. Vermiculite holds more water, I think. I sometimes use 100% Perlite for cuttings (where stem rot is likely, such as with cane Bergonias like B. luxurians). When I worked on a propagation nursery they used 100% Perlite in raised benches for all their cuttings - struck directly into the Perlite, under mist, and then we steam sterilised the Perlite, in situ in the benches, before the next batch).

I use vermiculite as a moisture retaining layer over seedlings - "drizzling" it on in a thin covering. I also use it for sterile propagation - in zip-lock bags for things like Lily scales snapped off the bulbs and, with even higher levels of hygiene, for twin scaling bulbs (cutting the bulb up into tiny bits, each of which forms a bulb) like Snowdrops

I use very little Vermiculite, and find that a small bag from garden centre lasts me a season or more. Perlite I use a lot of and seek out good deals for purchase in 100L bags, my supplier is currently charging £13.50 for 100L.

http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk...site&pf_id=R-PERL&name=perlite&sfile=1&jump=0

I buy it Trade (so that would be plus VAT), but they have it Retail at £17.81. Dunno whether you need Fine or Mediun, neither of those products codes is the one I buy!

http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/seed-perlite-100ltr.html

Just in case you can't see it without Trade login that page has this, which may be helpful, but the product picture shown is different, and the description seems to be talking about Vermiculite rather than Perlite - LBS's descriptions are often rubbish!!

Particle size:
                    Fine 0.15-2mm;
                    Seed 1-3mm;
                    Medium 1-5mm
                    Total water-holding capacity: Fine = 673ml water per litre Vermiculite.
                    Seed = 476ml/ltr.
                    Medium = 275ml/ltr.
                    Uses: Aid aeration, improve water holding capacity. Smaller particles hold more water whereas larger particle size increase aeration.

Different animals IMHO, but often described interchangeably

• Informative Informative x 1