1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Verve or Suttons

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, Dec 2, 2014.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    Hi All,

I was bimbling around B&Q this weekend - and decided to pick up some night scented stock seeds.

B&Q had their own seeds (Verve brand) and Suttons seeds. The price difference was more than £1 for the Suttons packet.

Is there any real advantage to the Suttons seeds - or am I wasting my money?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      If they are the same variety of scented stock , I don't think you will notice any difference Chris. The big name seed sellers charge the higher price due to better quality control and high advertising costs . I am sure the verve brand will be fine.
      I think that two thirds of my seeds for each season will be bought from budget suppliers -mainly Ebay . I do buy a few varieties from Thomson and Morgan , but as you say them extra £1's can soon mount up .
      There is something about us gardeners , we love a good bargain seed or plant source. If you find it 1p cheaper somewhere the GC members will be there !:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,951
        I have found with cheaper seeds that germination can be a bit hit and miss, if I purchase the more expensive ones I seem to get better results, Thomson & Morgan & Suttons seeds I have found are excellent so personally I don't bother with the cheaper ones now.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,623
        Thanks Harry and Val for your replies. I ended up getting a mix of Verve and Suttons. There was a greater selection of Sutton seeds - a bit expensive - but I couldn't resist a variety of Dahlia called 'yankee doodle dandy' - a strange name - but they look absolutely gorgeous.

Here's a picture:

IMG_20131204_211423.jpg

A bit early but what the heck - Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Clanless , you can't go wrong with a Dahlia named Yankee Doodle Dandee ! :hapydancsmil:
          Flashy crazy plant names is actually a good way to choose plants. I reckon 90% of the time you won't be dissapointed !

• Agree Agree x 1