1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Very Messy Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pk, Oct 12, 2005.

1. pk

pk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm a complete novice but now have a house with a reasonable sized garden to play with.

Just one drawback, the previous owner left the garden to 'junglify' itself after several burglaries (protection apparently) so it's now completely covered in brambles.

They're even in the drains/guttering and the shingle damp-proofing.

How do I best get rid of the brambles, and prevent them returning?

2. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Any weedkiller containing glyphosphate. It kills the roots and the above ground stuff. Doesn't harm the soil either.

Tumbleweed is a common example.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Too Rich's suggestion I would add a scythe - cut them back to knee height and then apply tumbleweed or other glyphosphate weed killer.

Re-apply after two weeks if there are any green leaves and then after another two weeks remove the remainder but do not add to compost - burn or get rid of other ways.

4. pk

pk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, thanks for that.

I'm not really sure about the roots still (like I said, I'm a complete novice!)

Do I need to extract them totally or will the tumbleweed stop them growing forever?

thanks again
    Paul

5. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The latter.

I took over a plot that was overgrown with brambles and convolvulous. I sprayed it with glyphosphate, then when I say new shoots I sprayed it again as Fan says. It took about 7 sprayigs before I was confident the growth wouldn't return.

When digging over the roots came away easily as they were rotted.

6. pk

pk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    excellent, thanks rich