1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

very strange potato foliage

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Blaina, May 28, 2010.

1. Blaina

Blaina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I planted three rows of King Edwards seed potatoes at the beginning of April, and attached you can see the current result.
    instead of the usual bushy green foliage I've unfailingly grown for the past thirty years of growing veg, on every plant I'm getting these strange curled over stems - some of the plants showing hardly any sign of leaf at all.
    There is no sign of rot or disease, and what foliage there is looks a healthy colour - albeit for the most part these curled leafless stems http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/flagady15/smilies/confused.gif
    The plants have received adequate water and have not been touched by frost. Any ideas!?..Blaina

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Oh dear Blaina that does not look good, I'm certain that is weedkiller damage. You might be unlucky enough to have brought in some contaminated manure/compost. Where did you get your compost from and are any other plants affected? A couple of years ago the exact same thing happen to me but I've not heard of any reports this year. It could also come from weedkiller drifting in from adjacent farmer's fields or other gardeners.

Have a look at this link which has lots of information and pictures describing the problem.

http://glallotments.co.uk/Documents/contaminated%20manure%20alert.pdf

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Jings Blaina. Those potatoes look awful. I would be inclined to agree with JWK. They look as if they have been poisoned with something. I doubt if there is any remedy. What a shame.

4. Blaina

Ratings:
    +0
    That's bad news indeed! :(
    I used a new source of horse manure for the potatoes and my runner beans, which also seem to be struggling a bit to take off - but I think will make it.
    The manure I dug out myself from a small horse yard in the midst of fields which are all non arable, and so wouldn't be sprayed. (adjacent non manured veg such as onions and carrots are thriving)
    I'm wondering how on earth weedkiller could have got into the horse manure. Does that mean any spuds would be contaminated anyway?
    Thanks for your help.....Blaina

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Blaina, the weedkiller is not used on arable crops it is only for grasslands to kill dock, thistles etc. The weedkiller is very persistant and only tiny traces are needed to cause the damage you have witnessed. The weedkiller is not even broken down by animals digestive system, so manure from horses eating the grass or hay or silage will contain enough traces of the chemical to kill or seriously stunt the growth of susceptible crops (potatoes, tomatoes peas and beans) As far as I know onions and carrots are less sensitive to the weedkiller.

This was a big problem two years ago when the weedkiller was first used in the UK, farmers using manure lost whole crops of potatoes before the problem was identifiied. The weedkiller was temporarily suspended but last summer farmers were allowed to use it again provided they followed strict useage controls. The person supplying your manure should really have know better given that this had national coverage.

I'm afraid you are another victim of the contaminated manure fiasco. Please read the link I posted earlier and this one which contains a potted history of the problem: http://glallotments.co.uk/Manure5.aspx

Your spuds will probably be a write off this year and any beds where you have used this manure need special care and treatment in order to make sure the chemical breaks down so you can grow stuff again next year.

6. Blaina

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you John,

I have read both your links now, and can see this is serious business as my spuds look well contaminated.
    Will have to clear out the manure bin as I still have half of it left. Hope I can remember the location of the stables, to warn them.
    If my runner beans managed to form decent pods would they be edible, or is this stuff poisonous to humans even in small amounts?....B
    (incidentally my location is East Sussex near Lewes)

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Its a shame, lots of hard work.:(

Its not right selling or even giving this stuff away.

I cant really believe its right that livestock should be eating grass that contains a persistent weedkiller.

Blainia, I dont know about "warning" the stables, suing them maybe?

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Blaina, it is susposedly not harmful to humans. At first (back in June 2008) we were told not to eat any of our crops contaminated with this stuff. Then when the scale of the problem was realised and many crops did not actually show any symptoms they changed their minds and said it was OK to eat them otherwise the supermarkets might have been half empty (as many commercial growers were hit as well). Actually our contaminated tomatoes did not produce any fruit and we decided not to eat anything from the contaminated beds that year just in case. It was a disaster for us and I'm really sorry that you have got the same problem now.

In your case I'd be very annoyed that the supplying stables did not warn you, as Pete says you have a good case against them.

9. Blaina

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again John for your comprehensive help. Fortunately I have tomatoes, onions and carrots plus a few garlic, which weren't touched by the manure - so all is not lost this season.
    However I will do my best to search out the stables who caused this and at least report them. Sadly, there were many other local gardeners filling sacks with manure at that place at the same time as myself, so the damage must be quite widespread around here.
    Will stick to bona fide sources in future :mad:.....B

10. Blaina

Ratings:
    +0
  11. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I would go back to the supplier and tell them what has happened but don't give them all remaining manure or the soil.

You also need to contact the CRD [email protected] and DOW [email protected] . to tell them of your suspicions.

Blaina; I know you have researched this now and probably know what to do, but for others I've copied this section from the Green Lane Allotments website:

What if you suspect you have contaminated your soil?

Advice given if you suspect you have applied contaminated manure is:

â?¢ Check with your supplier

If your crops are showing the effect of herbicide poisoning see photos here http://glallotments.co.uk/ACManure.aspx

â?¢ Remove as much manure as possible.
    â?¢ Don't keep the manure in a pile - if you can have piles removed and disposed of. Soil bacteria are needed to break down the residue and render it harmless to your plants.
    â?¢ Rotavate and dig the soil as often as you can to speed up decomposition.
    â?¢ Don't cover the soil as this will prevent air getting to the soil.
    â?¢ Grow crops that are less likely to be affected - we found courgettes, squashes and sweetcorn grew with no problem. We also had no ill effect as far as our brassicas were concerned.
    â?¢ Don't compost any affected plant material
    â?¢ Don't burn any affected plant material - this could be illegal
    â?¢ If your polytunnel or greenhouse is affected then keep turning the soil and keep the soil moist. Moisture and air are needed to aid plant decomposition.