1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Victoria Plum, Conference Pear & Evergreen plant diseases!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Khalid, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Khalid

Khalid Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria Plum: It happened last year for the first time, I had found some insect and plum seeping out clear sticky liquid. I picked and threw away entire crop.
    No visible bugs this year, however fruit has clear sticky stuff.
    I am tempted to cut the tree right to the main stem, removing all the branches, hoping it will grow back again.

Pear Tree: Orange spots on all leaves, first appear last year. I am thinking of cutting the tree right back, removing all the branches.

Plant looks like it has been burnt, last year I had removed black looking branches and leaves and it is back again

Attached Files:

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,988
    I only know about the Plum tree so don't cut it back...It happens I'm afraid..worth hanging a Pheromone trap up early spring to deter coddling moth.:blue thumb:

3. Khalid

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your kind advise, shall I remove the fruit as these are all going to be infected eventually.

4. Khalid

Ratings:
    +0
  5. misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,782
    The orange blotches on the pear leaves look like pear rust to me.

The rust is a disease caused by a fungus which dies off in winter so it needs a host to carry it through the winter months. That host is the evergreen juniper - remove the host and you will break the cycle of infection and re-infection.

Picture taken of our own pear tree in July 2016.
    [​IMG]

Later on in that year all leaves were affected. The orange blotches then turned black and "warts" started to form. The fruits were unaffected, though.

The outbreak of the pear rust disease coincided with the planting of three juniper tree/bushes nearby (although, they looked more like leylandii to me).

6. Khalid

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately we have too many evergreen plants in and around our garden.
    Will have to find some other way of breaking the cycle.

Regards,
    Khalid