1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Victorian kitchen garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lazydog, Feb 21, 2012.

1. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    • Like Like x 5
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      • Like Like x 3
      • lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        Its gets confusing nowadays to many different platforms it used to be simple when there was just 2 channels!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Try watching House in chronological order:D

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Oh I loved the whole series, The vegetable garden, the Flower garden & the Kitchen with Ruth Mott & Harry bringing in the veg.. I was given the books years ago & was given the whole series on dvd.. I get addicted to watching them once I start.. What a wonderful guy Harry was.. Shame there is nothing left of the garden now & Harry's House, offices & sheds are now holiday lets...!! Well so I am told.. :help:

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Its a brilliant series, well worth watching for anyone who can get Blighty.

AFAIK one some parts of it are available on YouTube et al.

• alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,073
          Hi Lazydog - what a great post..! I remember seeing the original series and of course have the book.

Just checked You-Tube - looks as if you can view the whole series there too.

Thanks again,

a-a

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,699
          Yup they are, Zig has the links to them in his TV channel topic.

I was given three books by a member here, published in 1922 that detail many of the old methods used in the series. They make for fascinating reading.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Like Marley I've got the dvds of the series and I love watching them. It was a great project and we may have lost Harry but he and his knowledge lives on in his dvds. That's sad news, Marley, about the garden, Harry's house etc, if true. If that's progress you know what you can do with it.:lolpoint::lolpoint::heehee::heehee::D

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,297
            Victorian Garden

I loved Ziggys sticky of this series
            Though not to go on me tangents with the current post

I feel guilty going off on me tangents so posted it here instead

I love these old manor houses and gardens, but I get to question the ethics of how one person can own such large homes and gardens and pay/employ dozens of people
            Only by exploitation of those people, can they amass the fortunes needed to build and upkeep these homes

There was no lottery in those days, so the money came from OWNING a mine or a WOOL mill, pay a pittance to the workers, and probably a pittance to the builders of these fine homes
            Same with the churches take the widows mite, but afford to build a Cathedral or stone built church like Ziggy works on

Nice to visit or see, but they must have exploited thousands of peasants, to live the life they did, Puts it in a different perspective to me

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
            • lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
              Ratings:
              +641
              Not much different to today you dont see the boss of Lloyds push biking in to work at 6.30 7 days a week to put a few dried up crusts on the table for his kids.
              The world is not a fair place we could be all poor together but not everyone could be millionaires, I dont think it would work,there again the present system isnt working either.

• Like Like x 3
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                But that was how it was then. You are looking at it with today's eyes. Future folk will look at what we (maybe even you) do with critical eyes.

Lots of those wealthy people built whole villages for their workers; the housing was on a very well thought out system for "community". Yes the workers worked long hours, but the alternative in those days may have been far less enjoyable and less fulfilling ... I don't know I wasn't there!

I look at the poorer people today and think that white-goods have enabled the wife to go out to work, instead of staying home to Wash and Cook, so they have more disposable income ... but I am amazed at how much they spend on "gadgets" and how little family-life-time they have. Yes they get to go on package holidays that were impossible in the 1800's, but their Sky+ HD my-telly-is-bigger-than-your-telly and 4 x mobile phones and driving lessons for their teenage kids ... its a king's ransom they are flogging their guts out for ... for what? Maybe they are more exploited that the long-hour-workers of the 1800's ?

• Like Like x 8
                • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,125
                  It is sad Armandii & to make it worse look at this..!!

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Maybe so, Jack. But it wasn't an ideal world then and it certainly isn't now and there's at lot of employers of non Estate status out there now employing people for less than they should and taking advantage of the economic situation.

In those days, the Lord of the Manor provided jobs and status to the local villagers that wouldn't have been there without them. Yes, it was unfair for one man or family to have so much land and power but Great Britain was changing socially and it didn't last all that long as the Wars that occurred changed the political, social, industrial situation. time and again.

My family was employed by the Dukes Devonshire over the centuries as Head Gardeners, Game Keepers, and Land Agents for the estate at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. My ancestors lie in the grave yards at Endsor and Baslow. The village of Endsor was actually dug up and moved to it's present place because the then Duke of Devonshire decided it was spoiling the view!!! Now that's power!! The thing is that all of the estate people might have grumbled about this and that but they were extremely loyal and proud to be part of the estate. It actually gave them status among non estate people. Plus we have, thanks to these large estates etc, a window into the past and some lovely places to visit.

• Like Like x 1
                  • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,729
                    I read somewhere or other that Victorian house servants in even the grandest homes usually stank, because there were few opportunities for them to wash. Puts a rather different light on 'Upstairs Downstairs' or 'Downton Abbey', don't you think?

On the other hand my great-grandfather was head gardener at a stately home and by all accounts had a rather nice life, which included a cute cottage in the grounds where he could bring up his family.

• Like Like x 3