1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vine Weevils - What do we do ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Sep 17, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Well a lovely trailing begonia I have grown from a plug has just succumbed to the Vine Weevil grubs eating the roots/corm . The grubs , if you don't know , are white and about as big as an orange pip. Just been reading up on them and ....
    Vine weevil adults can’t fly, they can only walk and climb so I often find that steep-sided, smooth-glazed pots are safe, because the female can’t scale the sides to lay her eggs in the surface of the compost.
    My pot was half way up a trellis !
    Vine weevil adults may not do that much damage themselves BUT each and every one is female, they don’t need a partner to create zillions of eggs and then grubs,
    Is this true ! There must be a male somewhere in the life cycle .

Luckily my attacks by Vine Weevil are not very common , but is there any protection you can add to the compost etc ?
    kb-30092010-vineweevil1.jpg

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Harry,

I always use " Provado Vine Weevil Killer ". ( There's also another one called " Bug Clear Vine Weevil Killer " but I've never seen that one ).

You use it twice a year, Spring and Autumn and ( touch wood ) I haven't lost any of my Fuchsias in the two years I've been using it.

These are only suitable for ornamentals but, for edible plants you can buy nematodes to use on them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        PS, don't buy the the Provado off Amazon it's a rip off.
        It's generally between £6 to £8 in shops/garden centers.

• Like Like x 1
        • Philcw1984

Philcw1984 Gardener

Ratings:
          +31
          Similar issue where I live!

Need a way to reduce the adults other then my foot!

Good luck

Phil

• Agree Agree x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,491
            There has been a very big increase of vine weevil in the last couple of years. :mad:

Our garden is too big to be able to afford to use the Killer all over it but we use it on all the pot plants. The pots also get an extra dose the week before Open Day as we don't wish to be responsible for spreading them with the plant sales.

• Like Like x 2
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,369
              There was a chemical-impregnated compost under the Levington brand available in the UK a few years ago, but I think it may have been withdrawn? The nematodes only work under very specific temperature and humidity conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +4,586
                In my VM Launch & Offensive, :) I use two methods for my troughs.

1 ► Vine Weevil Killer Spray. Used to use Provado but that doesn't seem to be available anywhere now so I use the BugClear one. Even that is getting difficult to source.

2 ► I put down a line of Ant Killer powder encircling the troughs with the idea that if you get the adults on the ground before they start their forays up the side of the troughs to go on egg-laying frenzies, then that'll be ideal.

Never heard of anyone else doing the Ant Killer thing but to me it seems logical. It's supposed to kill all crawling insects. I don't want to kill any other insects really but they'll unfortunately be sideline casualties of the VM War. :( :(

Vine Weevils are the No. 1 Pest in my garden. (Blackbirds are No. 2. Snails & Slugs, No. 3.)

• Like Like x 1