1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vine Weevils

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by bluequin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. bluequin

bluequin Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I have just discovered vine weevils in the garden - they've killed my favourite Huchera. They are actually in the soil - not just in pots:gaah:. I've got it in my mind to use nematodes as I think they're a little better enviromentally speaking.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to brand, method, alternatives etc. Also, is it too early in the year to use nematodes?

Thanks for any help

bluequin

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  3. chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,616
    i tried everything to get rid of them in pots and 1 bed in the end i resorted to fine riddle and i emptied the bed and pots and riddle off the blighters out, then with all the stones in a plastic tub i poured boiling water over just to be sure that i had missed any :paladin:

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,690
    If they're in one place they will be in another. I had a small infestation a couple of years ago so bought some provado and drenched the whole garden, front and back. No problems since.

• Like Like x 1
    • bluequin

bluequin Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Sounds like a nightmare! If you still have the stumpy top of the heuchera try soaking it in water for a few hours to rehydrate it then pot it up, keep it damp and shady and see if you can make it grow roots. You could also cut the stem into sections and do the same. You'd have nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 1
      • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        i tried everything to get rid of them in pots and 1 bed in the end i resorted to fine riddle and i emptied the bed and pots and riddle off the blighters out, then with all the stones in a plastic tub i poured boiling water over just to be sure that i had missed any

You get em girl!!! Bet you don't really call em blighters tho.........