1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Violin; raw novice.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Retired, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

I've never handled a musical instrument and certainly never tried to play one so I'm a raw novice as I venture into the world of violins.

My wonderful wife asked of me what I would like for my birthday which is today; at first I couldn't think of anything because now at 74 my workshop and two garden huts are bursting with excellent kit and I've so many tools and machines all my workshop needs are catered for?

I then thought of a violin; many years ago whilst in a store; we were heading up the stairs to the first floor when I noticed an old violin attached to the wall as a display piece and it caught my interest but with little by way of funds I let it go but ever since then I've always fancied trying to play a violin.

I'm nearing completing my current project it being an induction heater then my benches would be clear; I want a totally new challenge something I've never attempted before and the violin popped into my head so things have rapidly moved forward today.

My wife has generously bought me one of these;

Hidersine Vivente Violin Outfit, Full Size at Gear4music

I did quite a lot of web browsing and watched three YouTube videos of different violins being played and of the three I liked the tone of this one the best; I didn't want to buy an eBay cheap violin and browsing the second-hand violin's they didn't make sense to me because I simply couldn't tell if they were worth the money and of course being used I wouldn't know how they had been treated and stored.

I did dither a lot but I'm now delighted to have made the decision; I'll have a brand new violin which I can play immediately it arrives or at least make some interesting scratching noises; it's a complete kit; opening the link there are a couple of small videos demonstrating this violin which impressed me. My wife is also interested to have a go at playing this when it arrives.

I've been watching YouTube videos and now understand a great deal more about violins than I did first thing this morning.

I like making things and my intention was to make a violin but funds are no longer a problem and I'd still like to make a violin; I can use this new violin as a reference and once my benches are clear I've already got lots of woodworking kit and machines; I've also done fine cabinetmaking involving veneering the traditional way with hot hide glue; I still have the correct cast iron glue pot and hide glue also I can french polish; being a mechanical engineer I have skills to work to very fine tolerances so what better project than making a violin from scratch however long it may take.

Adding temporary support..jpg
    I've posted these previously but to show work I've already successfully completed; this from years ago whilst I was restoring vintage radios. This is an Ekco valve TV/radio 1957 bought in such poor condition a skip would reject it so I couldn't make it worse but the kind of project I loved.
    Ekco T311 as bought..jpg
    Here's the TV as bought before I started work on it; the veneer was badly delaminating and it was falling apart with woodworm damage; the front safety shield was missing. An highly dangerous project; these can kill but I'd already restored many vintage radios so was aware of the danger and I had the test kit.
    What a joy..jpg
    This is the same TV cabinet after a lot of TLC from me totally different regarding veneers than when it left the factory; I used hot hide glue throughout and finished it with french polish (Shellac).

I'm sure I'd enjoy making a violin so will be looking more deeply into it; in the meantime I can look forward to my new violin arriving and if I go ahead to make a violin I'll have a lovely full sized pattern to work from.

This video is fascinating to me but mine will be made in Yorkshire;

The following video shows an 11 year old young lady playing to the public and every time I watch it brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes; she is truly amazing and this is just one of her many beautiful videos

Once I start a project I'm like a dog with a bone so how will I get on.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • JAS

JAS Gardener

Engineer
      Ratings:
      +168
      One of my father's friends made violins as a hobby.

He had some tiny curved bottom planes, that he used as part of the shaping process- odd looking wee things - they had curved soles. I think he called them thumb planes but I could be wrong- it was 30 odd years ago.

I used to play the guitar a bit and always wanted to make one but never seem to get time. Lot more straightforward then a fiddle I would think lol.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Retired

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +5,791
        Hi,

Thanks JAS. You're not wrong regarding thumb planes; many luthiers made their own thumb planes; here's just one of the guys on YouTube as an example but there are other ways too like lost wax casting;

The guy in the video is working mostly with hand tools but I have machinery to remove a lot of arm ache like a Lorch Schmidt precision metal turning lathe I also have two woodturning lathes;I want to settle back with this project not in a hurry but enjoying every aspect of it; I like wood/metal working.

David Dyke Catalogue

I've only just started but am already making progress; here's a supplier of parts and materials which alone will help to identify the components; all information is useful.

I don't know the difference between violin or fiddle JAS so I'll have a nosy. Did you enjoy playing your guitar and are you likely to resume at any time also do you still have interest in making your own guitar? I'm retired being so for the last twenty years and seem to have less time now than when working full time but I think when you retire the days are shorter. :biggrin:

I've just enjoyed a mug of tea so now back into the workshop before another day slips by.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
        • JAS

JAS Gardener

Engineer
          Ratings:
          +168
          A fiddle is what we called a violin back home in Shetland. Traditionally played up in shetland - aly bain is probably one of the best know for shetland fiddle music. I went to school with Euan Thompson who was from Fair Isle - one of those people who seemed to be able to pick up any instrument and play it. Haven't spoken to him in years but I think he makes fiddles for a living now.

I enjoyed playing the guitar and one of these days will make one. I'm the same - I enjoy woodwork and metalwork and anything practical really. I have a few lathes as well but at the moment since moving house my garage here is too small. I have a long bed Harrison M300 and a wee Colchester Chipmaster and an old Axminster wood lathe from my dad. The wood lathe I got because the motor broke and the local guy couldn't fix it so he sent it down here with a friend who was coming down with a camper van. It was just the centrifugal switch that was damaged so got that fixed. Its ok but not great, one of these days I will get something a bit heavier built

I seem to have more woodworking tools now than metalworking, mainly due to the amount of house renovations that are going on. I'm having to move the incoming power cable head so have decided to upgrade to 3phase. I've managed to get a 70kVa (100a per phase) power supply so when I eventually get to build my new garage I'll be able to run a three phase supply down there.

Ive not done a huge amount of woodturning but got some chisels and have had a few goes on it - quite therapeutic. Still a bit wary of the Skew chisel though!

When I get a bit further on with the house I will get more time. At the moment its just never ending DIY here.

Jimmy

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Retired

Retired.
            Ratings:
            +5,791
            Hi,

Thank you Jimmy for your interesting post.

I sold all my big 3 phase machines a few years ago; I'd done the work I needed them for and to use just for DIY they were an overkill; two of the lathes were a big heavy Dominion woodturning lathe and a Colchester Triumph metal turning lathe; I also sold my big Startrite Volant 24" 10 speed industrial vertical bandsaw this had onboard a band welder; annealer; cutter and grinder; I had fully rebuilt it;

Under power on test..JPG
            I didn't have 3 phase installed so I installed my own winding a transformer by hand it weighing around 75KG; it supplied 415VAC to my machines and I used it until I sold it along with my big machines. I realized as I was ageing if anything happened to me my wife would have major problems in my workshop so now I still have lots of machines they are smaller. You'll find 3 phase highly useful and as you know you then have a choice of some top quality industrial heavy cast iron machinery often at much less cost than modern tinny machines. I don't recomment anyone to follow my lead working on transformers which are lethal when supplied from mains electricity.
            Volant3.JPG
            My startrite Volant bandsaw being fully restired.
            Volant8.JPG
            Fully restored and working; a lovely machine.

We married 45 years ago and I've been retired 20 years but only now can I indulge myself in hobbies such as getting involved with violins; I've every intention of making a violin and am spending time on the web and on YouTube gathering the information I need; I've just come across this remarkable young lady and listening to her play really moved me;

Every time I think I'm winning something knocks me back; this morning I wandered into the workshop intending to make a top cover for the induction heater only to find a problem with the twin fans; they were reluctant to start spinning; they are 12VDC and meter checks showed everything to be fine after all they'd been working yesterday; I connected my lab power supply and put 12V into them to find they powered up without problem so the supplied power supply at 2A struggles to run them; I want to move on to violins but something always prevents me doing what I want to do; by the time I obtain a more powerful power supply and install it the gardens will then be demanding my attention; being retired doesn't mean unlimited free time at least not for me; I'm not complaining or moaning because I'd rather have too much to do than be bored in front of the TV all day and night.

I'd like to beg the mods indulgance because I think this thread will end up all over the place possibly with plenty off topic; going off topic has never bothered me and I always welcome all replies after all I ramble on enough myself.

Kind regards, Colin.

• JAS

JAS Gardener

Engineer
            Ratings:
            +168
            Hi Colin

The three phase supply will be handy for a lot of things I'm hoping but I need to build a workshop. I can hardly get in my garage. Have to get the house sorted first though and thats no easy task I'm afraid. I'm getting through it slowly, it takes a while doing jobs on own.

You made a great job of the bandsaw! - when I get space I need to get my hands on one.

I never seem to get clear of DIY either. The cutting deck on the old wheelhorse was in need of some serious repair work so I've been gas welding in new bits of sheet but went to use my stick welder to weld the sheet metal back to the 1/2" bar running around the base but my stick welder has packed in. I opened it up but it was just a mass of circuit boards and a dirty big capacitor so I have sent it off to get fixed - that was nearly a month ago, still no sign of it. Its a complicated thing as its a AC/DC Tig with stick welding function. I use it as much for stick as I do Tig at the moment. So at the moment I have a wheelhorse cutting deck in bits, a broke welder that I could be doing with and am having to cut the lawn with a wee mower and its taking forever!

Jimmy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Retired

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,791
              Hi,

I fully understand your problems Jimmy but stick with it you'll get there; it's only taken me 34 years to get on top of all the big heavy jobs since we moved here but I'm a quick worker and like you always work on my own. :biggrin:

Over the years I've done hundreds of hours free work as favours often out of pocket too; I've never begrudged the time it after all being voluntary but it took me a long time to stop being so stupid and soft; where was the help when I needed it so I've stopped doing such jobs; my chum David sums it up nicely; DIY = DON'T INVOLVE YOURSELF. I'm a true dinosaur of the old standards always willing to help others but times have changed and I've never seen such selfishness and greed as is the norm these days; people will stab you in the back for an half penny.

The crunch finally came with a former neighbour a pensioner lady living alone having just lost her husband; I did lots and lots of work for her all free of charge; our boundary fence belonged to her and I agreed to help her erect a new fence; it being her fence she paid for the materials but I supplied items like screws and concrete plus my time; I agreed to pop round on a Monday morning with my tools for an early start; I'd already measured and taken her to the timber supplier also sorted out the chain link; when she answered the door she suddenly remembered she had a golf tournament that week so disappeared Monday morning and returned just as I finished the fence Friday afternoon spending the full week really grafting clearing out the old netting fence that our laurels had grown through and her garden like ours is very steep so it was a terrible week for me; looking back I should have walked away.

New fence (1).JPG
              A big terrible job; just standing upright was a challenge. New fence (3).JPG
              I had to clear the fence area and just getting up and down the garden was a nightmare; five days of torture; never again.

This neighbour even reported me to npower saying I was using a lot more electricity than her because I was running big machinery and my electric bill was smaller; I was even using my machinery to do her favours; npower was soon here to install a smart meter; it's a good job I disconnected the cable I'd attached to the street lamp for free electricity? I was looking after two detached bungalows but then I stopped doing jobs for her; not falling out but always too busy when she had another job lined up for me; losing her slave and now having to pay to get someone in she moved. When our new neighbours moved in I made it clear I don't do favours. This goes against what I was brought up helping others but at least my wife and I never ask for help we do everything ourselves; because I'm retired and have a well equipped workshop people think my time and workshop are theirs.

Regarding your welder packing in Jimmy; I too have a Tig AC/DC welder but I'll never use it for arc welding because I don't trust it; here's what happened to my Tig welder the first time I tried to use it;

Blown my welder up.

Parweld though were absolutely brilliant; it was repaired totally free of charge and it needed three expensive circuit boards plus lots of other expensive components; I was only trying to Tig weld for the first time on aluminium; mine is working well; I used it a few days ago but for arc welding I use my industrial Pickhill Bantam 180A single/3phase which will weld day in day out without blowing up; the downside is it's very heavy indeed so I made a trolly for it; I also made a trolley for my Tig welder. Good luck in getting your welder sorted out; may I suggest you too buy a seperate arc welder rather than rely on the Tig welder.

Tig welder_0001.JPG
              Here's my Tig welder; I opened an account with BOC for the pure argon gas; it's a brilliant welder but I'm considering selling it because I seldom use it; I just wated to learn how to weld aluminium having only ever welded steel for 55 years; welding aluminium definitely isn't easy but I got there after lots of practice and high cost of argon gas.

Metal spinning._0006.JPG
              New petrol tank for a mower I restored. Metal spinning._0007.JPG
              Another new petrol tank. Metal spinning._0007_01.JPG
              Not perfect welds but strong and don't leak; it's unlikely I'll do much more aluminium welding.

upload_2021-8-30_11-6-11.png
              My wonderful wife bought me a brand new violin for my birthday last Friday; DPD emailed to say it would be delivered today when I checked this morning; above is the latest message; if I tried to shoot myself I'd surely miss; all weekend I've been excited looking forward to the violin arriving; talk about bursting someone's bubble it's also a bank holiday today so it can only get better but I'm not holding my breath.

Enough for now and time I disappear back into the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
              • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,288
                Colin, if you have the time check out Tasmin Little, she's a fantastic violinist! Lots of her playing on YouTube. I just lay or sit back and am transported elsewhere... :)

Nick

The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Retired

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,791
                  Hi,

Many thanks Nikolaos for taking the time to post the two excellent music videos which I've just listened to; such music lifts spirits out of the usual doom and gloom.

Friday 2 April Good Friday Closed
                  Sunday 4 April Easter Sunday Closed
                  Monday 5 April Easter Monday Closed
                  Monday 3 May Early May Bank Holiday Closed
                  Monday 31 May Spring Bank Holiday Closed
                  Monday 30 August Summer Bank Holiday Closed
                  Saturday 25 December Christmas Day Closed
                  Sunday 26 December Boxing Day Closed
                  Monday 27 December Christmas Day (Substitute Day) Closed
                  Tuesday 28 December Boxing Day (Substitute Day) Closed

Out of curiosity I've just checked holiday closed list at DPD to find as expected they are closed today so why send me an email saying delivery would be Monday then early this morning send confirmation delivery would be today. Delivery might not even be tomorrow so whilst the violin is still in transit it's likely to suffer transit damage; of course workers deserve holidays but why do companies mess customers around in such a shoddy manner.

Trust me to start a new hobby and straight away run into problems; I hadn't realized Spruce wood was as rare as gold at least the grade for musical instruments is; a guy in Germany was advertizing spruce for guitars so I emailed him and he kindly replied very quickly to say sorry he didn't do spruce for violins; I've also spent quite a while looking for a decent violin forum but of the ones I found I didn't feel like joining although I'll keep looking; one thing's certain this violin making isn't going to be cheap; perhaps I should take an interest in mobile phones then I'd shut all mobile phone companies down; I've started though and I'll stick with it;

Wood for Guitars and other Musical Instruments - Sykes Timber

The above website looks interesting but before jumping in to buy the Spruce and other wood I'll make a start on workshop kit needed like lots of clamps which I can easily make myself;

I'll need thumb planes too which I can either buy or make; I expect lots of problems along the way but a lot of the fun with a new project is the learning curve.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Retired

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,791
                  Hi,

At last I now have the violin and what a beautiful instrument it is also it comes in a lovely case; I've eagerly awaited its arrival and I'm not disappointed; it's the best ever birthday present I've received because it's so personal to me and something I wanted rather than needed; just looking at it brings me joy. My wife always spoils me a great deal not just for birthday's but all year round; normally I choose a machine or power tool many quite expensive but I've always chosen these for the work they can do in assisting me with all the maintenance needed around home;

This violin is just so special; I've never tried to play a musical instrument but for years I've fancied owning a violin and now I've got my very own and it's brand new too. A friend has just emailed saying I need to decide what I want to do; either play or make a violin; my preference is to make but of course I want to make noise too; I see making a violin as a very nice interesting challenge and it hopefully will go on to become an engrossing hobby especially for our long dreary dark winters; something for me to get deeply involved with because already there's more to a violin than learning to play one.

First job is to complete the induction heater project then I can relax and move on to violins which I'm looking forward to.

Now at 74 I'm fortunately enjoying good health and put this down to being so active with many hobbies; as long as I have my lovely wife I'm happy and I don't want the world just being content with my life and what I already have.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Retired

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,791
                    Hi,

As I explained a while ago sadly I simply can't spend lots of time on all the forums I'm a member of but I've received an alert to which I've just replied;

Third year meadow.

Whilst here I'm happy to update though; I've turned the heating on in the new studio so have a bit of spare time.

The brand new Hidersine Vivente violin Bron generously bought me for my 74th birthday turned out to be a huge disappointment. Being a raw violin novice obviously it was my fault I was useless trying to play it; I stuck with it practicing bowing technique but could only make sense out of the A & E strings both the D & G strings were highly fruistrating indeed.

Having joined "Fiddlerman" forum I explained my problem and a member kindly suggested I contact Geoff the luthier at;

String Instrument Repairs - Professional Luthier Service based in South Yorkshire

Having left this Vivente with Geoff for a week for him to check it over and do any necessary work I was keen to try it out when I arrived home. Geoff had performed a miracle giving the Vivente a kiss of life; the difference now was truly dramatic; all four strings responded; I'd already bought two violin electronic tuners so I checked the settings against the tuners then I could retune as needed.

The G string was worn out after hardly being played; the sound post had been rammed in; the nut needed work as did the bridge and the new set of better quality strings cost £65 so with the work carried out total cost £95 which could have been avoided if Hidersine spent a bit of time setting up their violins better. The Vivente is now a joy to play and perfect for a raw novice so at last I started to make progress and enjoy myself. It sure made my left arm hurt though at first.

I progressed steadily and could use all four fingers on all four strings to play scales whilst getting used to bowing so having reached the stage of bowing without bow bounce or making terrible rasping sounds Bron kindly asked if she could buy me anything at all I fancied.

It appears novice violinists start with a cheap violin and as they make progress keep upgrading their violin. I've no intention of packing violins in so I gratefully accepted Bron's kind offer and I'm now the very proud owner of a German trade (orchestral quality) C1890 violin bought from Geoff who refurbished it; at 130 years old it has a few blemishes which adds to its character. Why now use a cheap bow on this lovely old violin so £285 bought a brand new carbon fibre bow beautifully veneered with now rare veneer and of course the violin needed somewhere to sleep so a brand new delux case at £225 completed the present.

I'm absolutely delighted not just with these expensive presents but in having such a wonderful wife who spoils me rotten.

I can now play Twinkle twinkle little star which I'm still practicing going over and over and I'll not move on until I can get this right each and every time; I'm improving with each practice session and yesterday enjoyed five practice sessions; I play in the studio so I'm not a nuisance to anyone but it does seem to let the neighbours cats know to visit us. I still don't know what the notes are I play and I can't read music yet but I'm a quick learner when I'm interested so have found ways of speeding up my knowledge and what a lovely feeling it gives me to have come so far in such a short time; playing Twinkle is a favourite starter and quickly builds confidence; my ambition is to play "Lara's Theme" on a violin I make myself and whilst it's winter I can spend time practicing violin playing in the studio; by the time I make the violin I hope to already play Lara's Theme.

In readiness I've spent £110 buying the violin wood I'll need from Poland; I'm making lots of the tools I'll need; I'm now deeply involved in this violin hobby finding it fascinating.

Violin knives_0004_01.JPG

This is an expensive hobby; The Stradivarius violin making book with full sized plans wasn't cheap; here are the four knife blades I made from heat treated gauge plate ready for handles and sharpening.
                    Violin mould._0003_01.JPG

Here's the Aluminium pattern I made allowing me to transfer the shape to the full size mould of 18mm thick plywood.

Violin mould._0006_01.JPG

Here is a master pattern in 18mm MDF with the assembly mould in plywood.
                    Violin_0012.JPG
                    The German violin with new case and bow.
                    Violin_0015.JPG
                    The violin cover inside the case.
                    Violin_0016.JPG
                    What a joy to own and play this wonderful violin.

Violin_0017.JPG
                    The two gauges inside the case.

I hope this explains why I spend so little time on the forum but I hope to keep in touch and pop on from time to time.

I've now even got a Blog;

Fiddle talk - VIOLIN DISCUSSION FORUM - Playing the violin | LEARN TO PLAY THE VIOLIN FOR FREE!LEARN TO PLAY THE VIOLIN FOR FREE!

Happy New Year everyone.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 5
                      Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
                    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +46,062
                      A very interesting read Colin. You don't do thing by halves! You are making excellent progress . Thanks for posting the amazing photos of your tools and lovely new/old violin.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,560
                        It's good to hear you're still persevering with the violin Colin. You must have the patience of a saint, they're not the easiest of instruments to play. :) We expect to hear a recording of Lara's theme when you eventually master it. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Retired

Retired.
                          Ratings:
                          +5,791
                          Hi,

Thanks John. I always do things the hard way because doing things easy is so boring; I can turn knocking a nail in into a saga. I wish I had lots of time to keep posting on the forums but the years seem to get shorter in retirement. This morning I visited the surgery and three supermarkets back home before 8:30 now I'm having a minute until the studio warms up; in parts of Yorkshire last night it was as low as -8C (17.6F) so I had to de-ice the car. Yesterday I checked the car over including going around all the door rubber seals adding a thin coating of Carlube Silicone multi purpose grease; this prevents the doors from freezing closed.

Thanks Sheal; I hadn't realized just how difficult it is to play a violin; seeing professionals play violins it looks incredibly easy; there are many excellent tutorial viseos on YouTube but even so it's taken me a couple of months just to become familiar using the bow; the E & A strings are the easiest to reach but the D & G strings are really difficult; at first I could only manage to play for five minutes before my left arm really hurt but now I can practice for half an hour without problem.

Top 10 Hardest Instruments To Play & Learn | Midder Music

I can now play Twinkle twinkle little star but it takes fierce concentration and I must have practiced this hundreds of times but still can't play it consistently with the same notes; moving a finger on a violin string less than 1mm changes the note but what fun I'm having; I'm really enjoying being tormented this way but I'll not quit because as I keep practicing I enjoy it even more; last night I tried playing the first four notes of Lara's Theme; oh dear this is going to be extremely difficult but I've a full winter ahead of me to look forward to allowing me into the studio.

I'm getting deeply involved with violins and have bought a Tascam;

I'm taking so much on at once my head buzzes; I've played around with the Tascam but now need an amplifier in order to play back my practice sessions; I could use headphones which I've bought but they are a bit of a nuisance so again do things the hard way. I bought a microphone and having finally got it set up on my computer I tried recording a short practice but my office is small making playing the violin difficult whilst trying to play near the mic so I gave up hence I bought the Tascam running me into yet another steep learning curve; this violin hobby isn't cheap but because Bron and I have not had an holiday away from home for 44 years we're in a position now to enjoy retirement with our respective hobbies.

Just playing a single note on a single string the full length of the bow is very difficult indeed because so much has to be taken into consideration but because I've not tried to rush I've spent a couple of months getting used to the bow and it's paying off because now as I start to play my first tunes I don't need to worry about handling the bow.

My major problem playing the violin is in holding the violin; I've tried using the shoulder rest in many positions; I've placed on my shoulder various sponges and even a number of folded micro fiber cloths but I'll stick with it and I'll win in the end; all violin novices will go through this and I consider it an interesting if frustrating part of learning.

Now I'm involved with violins I understand to a degree why so many violins are posted for sale on eBay & Gumtree; cheap violins are terrible and will put anyone off very quickly indeed; I'm just stubborn and eventually after lots of problems had the violin set up by Geoff the luthier it's now a totally different instrument but how many violin novices would consider paying a luthier £95 to have a brand new violin costing £160 set up; these cheap violins have useless strings; the strings on my German violin cost over £100 but for anyone serious enough to learn all these costs are mostly a one off and once paid then a violin is a pleasure for life.

Bron spoils me totten so in return I offer to take her anywhere she wants and I'll buy anything she fancies; now I'm so involved with violins I've just bought a Yamaha electronic keyboard hoping to temp Bron into having a go playing this; it hasn't yet arrived but if Bron doesn't take to it I'll get around to playing it just for fun; it looks like a decent bit of kit for very little money;

It's a tiny keyboard but with enough features hopefully to get Bron involved; it would be nice if Bron and I could play together in the studio; Bron on keyboard me on violin and use the Tascam for mixing. All this is so complicated to try to take in at once so the way I learn is to keep nibbling at it.

I like challenges and two extremely difficult skills I now have are Tig welding aluminium and metal spinning; like the violin these are very difficult; metal spinning is also dangerous; I fractured a rib but didn't give up until I succeeded; here's Tig welding; another expensive hobby; it cost around £1,600 by the time I could Tig but worth it for the interest;

Metal spinning is another very difficult skill to learn but not impossible with massive determination;

MK 2 mower tank._0002_05.JPG
                          I was restoring a Suffolk Colt petrol mower only to find it had a leaking petrol tank hence I decided to learn Tig welding aluminium; here's the original steel tank with the new aluminium tank plus another tank I welded as an experiment. We can afford our hobbies because we don't socialize or have holidays away from home; we like being in our own little world.
                          Reflectors_001.JPG
                          Metal spinning is very dangerous indeed; years ago I restored my Union Graduate lathe which I can now use for metal spinning these coach lamp reflectors being an example. I bought the pair of vintage coach lamps in terrible condition costing £3 the pair at Rufforth Auto Jumble; their reflectors needed replacing so off I went on another ballistic learning curve and made new reflectors.
                          Spinning tools_003.JPG
                          Here are my metal spinning tools the longest is 42" long and even with this amount of leverage I fractured a rib.

I've rambled on as usual but I like to encourage anyone to leave their comfort zone to try now projects learning new skills; I'm definitely not the sharpest tool in the kit and I know it but I'm downright stubborn and have endless patience once I get interested in something but above all I'm simply too stupid to know when to walk away.

I'm determined to learn to play my violins however long it takes or however difficult it becomes; unlike my many other hobbies I think playing a musical instrument can be enjoyed all the year round making it a lifetime interest. Sorry if I've put you to sleep.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                            Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
                          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                            Ratings:
                            +44,516
                            Retired
                            Glad that you're still playing your violin and that you're making progress.
                            Take care Logan

• Like Like x 1