Viorgin Media - Magic Words

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ricky101, Oct 20, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

In previous years when renewing the Broadband package, you could get though to the actual Retentions department at Virgin Media and haggle a decent deal.

Seems now thats not possible via the usual operator ( home workers ?) who sound like they can only quote what the screen tells them and no room to work anything out.

Its was suggested in Virgins own forum, than we shoud ring between 8am -10am and sounded like I got though to an actual call center and as soon as I said those magic words "we want to give 30 days notice" , they were able to work on things and soon got a much better deal. :)

Hope this helps others, why pay over the odds for being a loyal customer !!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      I had enough of the main BB providers, supposed to be fully unlimited, then they narrow the band width etc, being charged business rates when the modem is in the bungalow, so we went back to BT, which was a mistake, being rural theres no BT fibre, so copper wire speeds topped out at the dizzy heights of 12mbs, so I did some research, and when the BT contract ended made the change, we now have completely unlimited BB, with speeds of 45 to 50mbs for £30 pm on a 12 month agreement, it may be of some use to some, so here is what we did: I went on to Amazon and bought a unlocked Huawei giga cube £120 (unlocked in the same sense as a mobile phone, being free to use any network), I then checked out all the mobile network sim only unlimited plans, and the coverage they have in our area, the best at that time was Vodaphone, so I purchased the unlimited plan sim for £30pm, insert the sim card into the Huawei modem, not looked back or had any problems, added bonus you can take the sim out and use the unlimited calls and texts in an unlocked phone if you need too, and being unlocked, you can change the provider if you find a better deal with another network, when the contract ends, and with the Huawei it is 5g ready, connect up to 64 devices, if you move, unplug, take with, plug in new home, no cancelling or transfering, and with Vodaphone, unlimited you have the option of BT sports package for £3 extra per month, the wireless range is not bad either, I still get a connection outside some 30 metres away.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Interesting, could only get sub 10mps when we tried tethering our mobile phone, assume that Huawei giga cube is something special as not heard of getting such high speeds without a very good copper wire or fibre connection.

Think being able to readily get good 100mbs plus connections is one of the few advantages of urban living, we now have a choice of two separate fibre networks, fttc and ftth.

• Like Like x 1
        • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
          Ratings:
          +1,200
          The Huawei giga cube is a modern state of the art modem/router, that is capable of receiving fibre or phone network signal, I found out about it, when someone recommended it in place of their ISP standard modem, when the wireless signal is not very good, as the Huawei is far better at wirless than most modems out there, if is superior to a nighthawk x10 I bought a couple of years ago. The gigacube appeared a couple of years ago when Vodaphone decided to entre the home broadband market, EE and the others have them, but locked to their network and have pricey plans. Even though it all depends on the mobile signal in your area, the gigacube works well because it switches from 5ghz to 2.5ghz whichever is best at the time using it, it is also 5g capable. If you go down this route, buy an unlocked Huawei gigacube from Amazon, only £20 more than buying from the networks, but unlocked. I took my gigacube to a friends house yesterday to show him in Bristol, his Virgin ultra fast measured just over 300mbs on ookla, plugged in the gigacube and it came in on ookla at just under 300mbs, but this area of Bristol has 5g, and my friend is paying £44 pm on BB only, fastest tarrif 18 month contract, mine £30 pm unlimited data, calls and texts 12 month contract. So if the networks have the capability, an unlocked giga cube may be a good choice.

• Like Like x 2