Virgin Media Negotiator wanted !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, May 25, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi All,

Wonder if any of you more savvy users can offer any words of wisdom in negotiating a new package.

Have been with VM for many years both a Broadband,phone,tv basic package and also a Virgin Mobile Monthly Sim only deal, both now out of contract.

Have to say that we have been very happy with their services, very little down time and bills seem accurate.
    Currently getting a full 70Mb on broadband, though 50Mb would be enough.

However the broadband deal has just gone up from £41 to their standard £48 for existing users as a loyalty bonus has expried; the same package is just £29 for new users for the first £12 months.

The moby was a decent £10 sim but the are going to put that up by 15% to £11.50, yet they now offer a similar deal for just £9 and state it will only go up by inflation.

Not going to bother with the far east lines, just going straight to retentions, but what would you say is a fair price to be looking for ? .. though will not accept their first offer.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We're with Virgin, have been since they took over from NTL.

I've a pay as you go phone.

Full House Bundle
    Talk More Anytime Full House TV (XL) TiVo Monthly Fee VIVID 100 Optical Fibre Loyalty Customer
    Full House Bundle total
    £58.99
    Promotional offer(s)
    You're Receiving A œ7 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 07-AUG-18
    Promotional offer(s)
    CR £7.00
    Phone line rental
    Telephone Line Rental

Phone line rental total
    £19.00
    Your package total
    £70.99

We paid an extra £5 months, for my wife's phone natterings outside what are free.

As for the loyalty bonus I'l be re-negotiating that.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
    +126
    We have been with Virgin for years. The bills have been creeping up and up but we are getting no more for our money :scratch:

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,377
    I've been with Virgin for years.
    Dumped the TV , went on to freeview, but still stuck with the phone and broadband.
    Tried to get some sense out of them on the last price rise, but I think they would prefer me to just go as I dont have a rip off TV package with them.

Just a bunch of thieves as far as I'm concerned, but then, so are all the others.:frown:

5. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I've been on virgin mobile since 1999. I always used to get a loyalty discount which used to show up on my bill. That doesn't happen anymore. I don't think I'm getting any kind of deal now. I find them hard to contact too. There is no instant chat on their website. The FAQs just keep you going round and round in circles. Phoning isn't much easier. It takes hours and you end up talking to someone in a call centre who speaks terrible English. I have every intention of changing supplier next time round.

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
      +126
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        :pcthwack:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,377
          Live chat with any supplier of anything is pointless, usually they are in Bombay, and are very polite, after that you get absolutely nowhere, as they just go round in circles.
          They are well trained at being friendly, helpful and totally useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +45,644
            Follow Martin Lewis' advice for haggling:
            Haggle with Virgin: Deals for existing customers - Money Saving Expert

In Feb I renewed with Virgin and by paying the line rental upfront it works out at £38.92/month, thats still a proper rip off. We only have the Freeview TV package so all of that cost is broadband and phone. I wish I could drop the phone line as we never use it to make calls now and only get the occasional marketing incoming call.

Maybe next renewal time I'll take the plunge and get rid of our landline but I am never sure about those really cheap broadband deals, do you still need a landline?

The only thing that ties me into Virgin is our email addresses, we would lose them if we switched. Not such a big deal really as everyone else we know seems to keep constantly changing theirs.

As a comparison my student son's broadband and phone package from Sky is just under £2o/month.

• Like Like x 1
            • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
              Ratings:
              +4,411

Agreed.
              We have the "Full House Bundle," simply because my wife due to her disability watches a lot of TV programmes and the shopping channels. I won't say she watches it all the time, "it's on" but for much of the time she's either working on her decoupage card making or her costume jewellery (or asleep).
              We get BT Sport as part of the package, but without it she'd get fewer channels.
              I could watch the football, but only bother if it's the team I support.
              We've a second TV in the front room with a Humax HDR. I record a lot of stuff on that, but don't watch it all.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184

Hi,

No we don't use the landline either, with so many free minutes on the mobiles monthly Sim its just paying the landline fee of £19 a month for nothing.

We changed our email to gmail a long time ago as VM/NTL addresses were having real problems s and emails could be offline for several days at a time.

Those £20 packages from Sky and others do look attractive and would be prepared to ditch VM TV as we now have a smart tv and just get a Humax recorder instead.

Seem VM offer a basic broadband only for £27 then £33 after 12 months, not as good as others, though their speeds in our area are good, never know what the others are like using BT lines .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                Hi All,

Had a chat with VM retentions yesterday to explore various packages from just broadband to the current TV,BB,Phone package on which they offered a £7.50 discount.

Rang back today with some follow up questions and got offered a new price of £9.50 off the current package for a new 12 month contract with the discount applied for the next 18 months, plus a speed upgrade from 70 to 100mb.

Just not worth looking at anything less, even though we don't really use the landline suppose its always a good backup to the mobile.

Can relax for six months now until the usual motor insurance run around !

:thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
                • Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
                  +126
                  If you are at the end of your contract and live with somebody that has a different surname, just cancel your contract and take out a new contract in the other persons name. Then when that contract expires, cancel that and take out a contract in your name. This is all above board, in fact VM in a shopping centre near where a work colleague lives, actually told her to do this so she did.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Been with Virgin since it was Telewest , from around 2000 . Like all providers they do get some criticism thrown at them . But in all this time I think the broadband has had not more the 5 outages . I have been upgraded to 120MB, I think . TV we just have the Medium package , which is not much different to Freeview . The bone in everyone's throat is the the phone line rental , is it £19 now ? Like others we don't use the land line now , would it be safe to get rid of it ?

• Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
                  +126
                  If you got rid of the phone it just saves you a few quid, that's all.

We have the same package as you and I think we pay £27pm all in