1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin D supplement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Aug 21, 2015.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Does anyone here take one? or any other supplement? Just wondering if taking some would be a good idea as we definitely don't get enough from sunshine.

2. Cheery Cherub

Cheery Cherub Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Myself and husband take vitamins D and omega 3 every day. This does help the bones in the body as you're quite right we do not get enough sunlight.

• Like Like x 1
    • *Potash*

*Potash* Gardener

Ratings:
      +365
      Only as part of a multi vitamin :)

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,805
      Good evening @Val.. I much prefer to get my vitamin D from oily fish,eggs,fortified foods that have had vitamin D added to them – such as breakfast cereals and powdered milk,but then I am old fashioned;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • *Potash*

*Potash* Gardener

Ratings:
        +365
        Good move, a owl don't get much sunlight :phew:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
          Ratings:
          +1,162
          I was told that we need 20 mins of sunlight (but more than this is counter productive) to get our quota of Vit D. I have recently been prescribed Vit D since I was found to be too low in it. I had aches in my muscles and was noticeably increasingly more tired - my catnaps taking on an extensive time. (I am a semi recluse so that maybe why). Vit D can be depleted by certain drugs, e.g. laxatives, diuretics and barbiturates. It is also possible to overdose on Vit D so careful adherence to supplement instructions is wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,805
            Oh well that's OK then ,that means that a small owl only needs moonlight:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,631
              I would say its always best to get checked if possible

I had a vit d level of 14 which is severely low from my first year of illness. Your level should be 50 i then took tablets that were prescribed and ended up with a level of 100 which is just as dangerous

I now just ensure i eat eggs, oily fish etc and try and spend 20-30 mins in the sun everyday

Also remember that the lighter your skin is the easier it is to get your vitamin D. If you have darker skin you are more likely to be deficient.

Oh and that time in the sun needs to be without sun cream on too :-)

Getting vit d naturally is the only reason i started gardening lol

• Like Like x 1
              • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,951
                Thanks @rosebay Well there is no way I get a regular 20 minutes of sunlight here in Wales, yes I am finding that I also get tired easily lately so I want to try and rectify it. With regard to being depleted by certain drugs, provided that doesn't include nicotine I should be OK!!:) I do take an antidepressant but can't find any info on any sort of interaction.

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                I am on 1,000 x 3 Vitamin D3 a day on hospital consultants orders as I was found to be low(I think mine was 39).Our surgery orders them in for me and I have Valupak ones,but don't know if they are doing me any good as I still suffer horrendous bone and muscle pain most times of the day.:sad:

If you feel you need them Val then if I was you I would pop on long to your surgery and get a blood test done and you will then find out what your levels are and will then know if you need supplements.As others have said having too high a level can be just as bad as to low a level so best to get it checked out if you are concerned.

Evidently as we get older we can't manufacture VitaminD on the surface of the skin like we can when we are younger and also our backs are one of the best areas to get the VitaminD as it is a large surface unlike our hands and faces but you have to do it gradually (next summer would be ideal)....:smile:

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                @Kandy i had no change in my bone and muscle pain going from a level of 14 to a level of 100

It had absolutely no effect on anything and i felt the same weirdly

Its frustrating tho

• Informative Informative x 1
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                  Ratings:
                  +10,533
                  just saw this. And found out after a horrid reaction that there are two types of Vit. D. there is Vit D 2 and Vit D 3. the first is man made --horrid stuff that my doctor prescribed, and after one dose in two days I thought my hips broke. It took a week and lots of water to get rid of the pain as what happened it was toxic to my kidneys.

And then there is Vit D 3, which is natural, and only sold in Natural food stores.

After my first encounter, and after a week I started on cod liver oil. then moved to Vit D 3.

Told my doctor he was nuts. And since then have found another doctor.

• Like Like x 1