W10 May/June v.2004 Update ..

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ricky101, Jun 17, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Just a heads up for anyone looking to do the latest windows update onto an old desk or laptop.

They say is an Update, but its more like a full install, took around 5-6 hours to download, install and then the follow up v 2004 'normal' updates.

Thankfully it all seems to work ok for our old laptop, though we did a system backup first just in case!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      Thanks for the heads up on that @ricky101 :blue thumb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834

Yep, thanks for the heads up, Rick, The last one I had, Ricky, was on the 16th of this month and was 2020-05 for Edge update for Windows 10 version 1909 for x64 based systems (KB455930900) .........was that the one?
      I have a Desktop with a AMD Razen 9 processor and 32gb memory but I've had nothing lengthy regarding updates and checking find no updates available but, as you say, it might be lengthy for older Desktops or Laptops.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,834
      I saw this hit my work laptop this evening - explains why it has been running like treacle all day. Ah wall, if it takes six hours tomorrow when I switch it on, the company have a huge problem......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        No, that was to update you with the New Chrome based version of MS Edge, though for the time it takes you might think its a System Update.

If you look in the Updates section, on both our PCs the v2004 update shows up, but it needed us to click on its box to allow it to install, which is just better than doing it without us knowing and slowing us down for hours.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          Thanks, ricky:love30::thumbsup:, that is great information and stops an eager finger from clicking on "Update" when there's no need:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,834
            Thought I would add a bit to this - on two out of three machines so far, 1909 has just arrived as an available update. It definitely hasn't been available until now (I am scorching hot on updates, and keep an eye on them), and it needs to be installed first before you will even get a sniff of 2004. Interestingly, both machines that have just received 1909 are laptops, one of which was considerably faster at installing than the other, I presume due to it having an SSD.

Once 1909 is installed, you will have to remove Windows.old folder (via Drive Tools>>Clean Up) before it will allow you to download 2004. I have the Vaio chewing on the second part now (nearly 6hrs for 1909 update last night)

• Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              Well you prompted us to upgrade our desktop but surprised that after a hour it gave an error message and almost immediately Restarted, so we did not clearly see all the error code, and then said it was reverting things back to the original state. Never had that before !

Looking at the Updates Failed log entry it only shows part of the error code, so we are not sure what the cause is , though hard drive space is all ok.

Might be worth checking this list and making sure everything is ok before upgrading.
              https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors
              Wonder why they do not display those details to us before starting the Upgrade, asking us to be sure its all ok, or even for them to check and tell us as they constantly monitor our PCs.

Think @clanless , see his post before this one, where he has set up a Linux system instead has the right idea, unless you need to run some Windows only applications.

We did a Linux Mint dual boot install on on our old laptop earlier today, only took about 30 mins for the full download and install, quiet surprised how they have improved things since we last tried it.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,834
                Well, I managed to install 2004 in just over an hour late last night but, on restarting, found I had lost my Internet connection:wallbanging: It was too late last night to get into a search for the problem mode so I left it until this morning. I checked all the cables, reconnected the Router cables and......nothing. So after spending about 20 minutes trying everything I pressed the small button on the front of my Sky Router and, after a couple of tries, have got reconnected. You'd think they'd flag up for the ordinary user of the Net what problems to watch out for before the actual install who "walks" into Microsoft installations what could happen.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 3