1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: delicate golden-flowered perennial

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JonC, Oct 26, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am looking for some plant suggestions to go in a new raised border I'm building.

The border will be fairly long and narrow (50cm max), and I plan to populate it mostly with ~60cm tall copper-coloured grasses and summer flowering perennials.

I would like the perennials to be delicately structured (so as to mingle effectively with the grasses), about 30 to 70cm tall, coloured scarlet red and golden yellow. I have already identified the red one I'd like, namely Sphaeralcea 'Newleaze Coral'. I am having more trouble finding the yellow one.

The sort of thing I'm after is like Phlomis russeliana, but I'm worried that has too much spread for such a narrow border. Ideally, the perennial would be compact enough so I can plant quite a few of them, mixing them around the grasses. It would also have a very long flowering season.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any would be most welcome!

Jon

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Helenium Hoopesii is a good one. It has ferny leaves and little yellow daisy flowers.

If you have a look at the " What's Looking Good In October " thread, in my post on October 17th it's the 9th photo. ( PS... If you like it, the one above it is Coreopsis " Sunfire ".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  3. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    [​IMG]

Another coreopsis...Coreopsis "Moonbeam". The photo's off the net. Mine has flowered it's socks off - grows to approx 40cm tall. Looking at your post though, I'm not sure if it's "golden" enough. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,288
      Phlomis russelliana is easy enough to control but it only flowers for about a month and grows to well over a metre.

Have you thought about plants that will be successive? Lovely yellow cowslips give an early cheerful gold to the season and still leave room for later flowering plants.

P1030259.JPG

• JonC

JonC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for your replies everyone. It's certainly tricky when you have something specific in mind and, like me, aren't particularly experienced. Browsing through Crocus (the website), I came across a small Achillea, 'Taygetea'. Does anyone think that would work well with the scheme I've suggested?

• Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
      Ratings:
      +292
      i think Rudbeckia's work well in grass borders

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Golden perennial that works well with grass. Dandelion?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2