Washing machine problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sheal, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,317
    I have an old Miele washing machine that has been poorly for over a year and it's now very sick. Diagnosis tells me the motor is just about finished, probably bearings. It's been squealing for some while and over the last couple of weeks has progressed to screaming on spinning and scraping/whining on tumbling. What do you think please fellow GCer's?

I've just been checking out prices for replacing the motor and with labour on top it will be cheaper to buy a new machine. I'm not prepared to call out the local engineer (at £50) just to tell me what I probably already know, but confirmation would be good from you guys please. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
      +342
      • Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,028
        Hi @Sheal I know exactly how you feel.

I was very very attached to my old washing machine and to be honest by the time I calculated labour and parts it was just cheaper to go out and purchase a new one........ :sad:

Good luck :spinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          Sheal on our old Zanussi washing machine we had the bearings go so Mr Kandy sourced some new ones and after purchasing them spent the whole of one weekend with my washing in parts in the middle of the kitchen floor while he replaced the bearings and it was a nightmare trying to cook meals and wash up as our kitchen is tiny and the whole of the free space on the floor was filled with bits from the washing machine plus the drum and seals:yikes:

Eventually the task was finished and I had the machine back in full use.When I mentioned what had happened to a friend they told me that because I always had my spinning part of the machine on the highest setting then over time the bearings wear out quicker because of the speed of the spins.My washing machine worked ok for another couple of years before the same noise started and I realised the bearings were on their way out again.This time though I refused to let Mr Kandy change the bearings as it was going to be more expensive than the first lot of bearings so I persuaded him to let me have a new washing machine which has been fine up to yet:snork:

If I was you Sheal I would only consider getting the bearings done if you can buy them cheaply enough and then find someone who can do the job at a cheap rate which will off set against the price of a new machine.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,880
            It could be as simple as a worn drivebelt (assuming of course that it is belt driven), however if it is quite an age it is quite possible that the main drum bearing has gone.

On some machines, replacing the main bearing can be an utter pig of a job as per Kandy's experience, however on others it can be as simple as whipping a belt off and then undoing a handful of nuts.

Before doing anything else, are you able to tell us the model number?

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,317
              Thanks all. :) If you haven't owned a Miele then I think I'd best tell you it weighs a ton! If there are floorboards in the area it's going to stand further boarding will be necessary, an ordinary floor will struggle to take the weight. There is no way the machine can be dragged out into the middle of the floor it's to heavy. :doh:Miele thought of this though when they built them, every part can be accessed by taking the front off. :)

It's almost twelve years old @fat controller, model Novotronic W844.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,834
                It's probably got a huge concrete block in the bottom, Sheal, to keep it stabilised and from vibrating when in use.:dunno::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,317
                  It has Armandii, I've seen inside it before. Everything about it is solidly built even the door. I bought it as I was wearing a machine out every two and a half years with a minimum wash load of ten a week! :doh::) This machine has more than paid for itself and if I have it repaired will probably go on for another 12 years. It's the cost that's daunting.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +48,880
                    Bearing kit is £127.41 and a new polyvee drivebelt is £44.17. A shaft seal is also listed at £96.99, so if that is disturbed during the bearing replacement it will need to be renewed.

As it is a front off to access job, I reckon that will make this even more of a pig of a job, so I would say that the labour cost is likely to be quite high - a new Miele washing machine can be had for around £600, and other brands even less (Bosch would be a good one at a reasonable price); a washer/dryer from Miele however is around £1200 which makes the repair of your one suddenly look cheap......

If you do go ahead and get it repaired, I would suggest going to a Miele approved repairer - they will almost certainly be quicker at doing the job than a multi-brand engineer, which may save you a few quid in the long run

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,317
                      Thanks for the information FC, the parts you have listed are reasonable in price as far as a Miele goes. I wouldn't get much change out of £3/400 for a motor. The chap that deals with Miele's here had to replace a part three weeks after I bought it and he hasn't had to touch it since but I know he is still working on them, it's whether I bite the bullet and ring him or not. If it's a major job labour wise, he would probably with assistance take it to his workshop. :)

I know Bosch have a good name, a brand I would consider, I certainly don't need a Miele now the family have all gone. By the way, I paid £600 for mine 12 years ago. This is going to be a difficult decision, the sales are on at the moment which are tempting and you can guarantee if I leave the decision for a while, my Miele will pack up just as they finish. :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,368
                        I have a similar problem with my Bosch. The only real difference is that I do my own repairs, so only need the parts. Big problem is they have been on back order now for 6 weeks, so its looking more and more like I must replace it whether I want to or not.

Perhaps spare parts availability is the thing that makes the decision to repair or replace?

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,317
                          Mr S. and I have been weighing up the pro's and con's today. I made a phone call to the repairer and he wants a £55 call out charge for diagnosis and they would only guess at the problem on the phone.....I wonder why! :doh:

We decided to have a look at what's available in the sales to see what we would gain from buying now. During the process of this I sorted out my Miele paperwork (yes, I keep all that for my appliances lifetimes) to see what the laundry capacity was. I got no further than the purchase date, I'd got it wrong, my machine is 15 years old next week! I couldn't believe it and the only call out was in it's first few weeks when it was under guarantee.

My Miele has more than paid for itself and it now makes sense to buy a new machine as I can't see the point of repairing it at the age it's reached. I'll give it a pat on it's way out of the door. :)

Thank you all for your help, perhaps I should have looked at the paperwork sooner. :doh: :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Definitely think you have made the right decision Sheal. We had to make a similar decision on our old but very good/expensive oil fired central heating boiler ie repair or replace. While like you we could get the spare parts needed there were no guarantees that after repair something else wouldn't go wrong/wear out so we bought a new 1. As I think you are in the process of selling your house and don't have your family living with you now and therefore less washing it might be an idea to buy a relatively cheap and cheerful replacement machine. You could then perhaps include the machine in the sale of your home and save the hassle of moving it to your new home. I got a REALLY cheap 2nd hand washing machine to tide me over when we moved here and were redoing the kitchen. I think the only reason the machine was being got rid of was because it was 2 floors up in a rented flat and the tenants didn't have the will/muscle power to lug it down the stairs. It was meant to "do" me for a couple of months, 12 years on...........!

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +48,880
                              At 15 years, I think it deserves its retirement @Sheal - spending hundreds on a machine of that age doesn't really make any sense, no matter how good it is.

I think @silu has hit the nail on the head - get a real el cheapo job to see you through until you move, and then treat yourself to something better when you move to your new house.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +16,246
                                @Sheal , going cheap on Ebay , auction finishes in 30 minutes !
                                e0067be4141a7b928dcc8bcf2d56a11c.jpg
                                I think your Miele has given you a good run for your money , as above buy a cheapo to tide you over until the move.

• Funny Funny x 4
                                • Like Like x 1