1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasp nest in raised vegtable garden

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Gwen austin, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi guys,

Was out picking some carrots for tea. I have a standing raised vegetable bed about 2 feet high and 6 foot wide. Its pallets and thick fabric control, filled with 2 tons of soil. (there is a picture in my albums if I'm not clear by the description). So back to the issue. I clearly have a wasps nest underground as up came the carrots as well as a few stings and lots of angry wasps. I went back after treating the bites and sure enough the middle pallet I can clearly see wasps(********) going in and out.

I've read through the advice given back in 2005. The common belief is when they die in the winter they won't re-use the nest next year. As it's a vegetable bed I'm not keen on using any kind of chemical, unless absolutely necessary.

What's the advice guys? Do I buy a can of the foam and DIY, get an expert to remove it, or ignore them until they die and pick the veg needed at night when they are asleep?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,292
    Personally, I'd blitz them, but then I've been battling ownership of my house and garden for 13 years with the damned things. Bear in mind that everyone only has so much tolerance to the stings before one too many causes anaphylactic shock. Vinegar is the best antidote to wasp stings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Whin

Whin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      I would not take any chances working around a nest at this time of year, it will be full of warrior wasps which will attack. The best time to treat a nest yourself is when it is very small and only females are yet active...I've dealt with three such myself with the rentokill nest destroying foam. You need a clean shot at the nest though, otherwise I would get in a professional, or wait until winter and see if the cold gets them as you say. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        As I've got older i care more and more about nature.
        To me a bee is a precious insect and if one gets into the conservatory I'll carefully put a glass over it, and slip a card under to release the little darling.. Even individual wasps too.
        But a nest of wasps... Try a picnic with lemonade or fruit salad..
        They'll ruin it for sure.
        Whilst they've got their rightful place in nature one's garden cannot be one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
          Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
        • Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
          Ratings:
          +238
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1