Wasp nest

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by pip, May 1, 2011.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Afternoon all

Whilst standing in the garden this morning I noticed a rather large wasp, clearly a queen, entering the bathroom vent and into the duct. Upon closer inspection of the vent I saw telltale signs of nest building, pulp mix on the vents. Immediately set about dismantling the vent and went into the loft to get to the duct to force the nest out with a long radiator brush. When I went back to the garden the nest was on the floor, about the size of a golfball and full of grubs, needless to say I squashed the grubs and binned the nest.

Set about putting the vent back together, covering it up until I get some mesh, and the queen came within 2 feet of me, not good when 15 feet up a ladder. Hopefully the nest will be the first and last one in there.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    :thumbsup: Well spotted Pip as this is the time the queens are on the move to find new nest sites... It is as well to put fine mesh over the vents as they love a roof space... :mad: