1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasps nest in house.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rustyroots, Oct 11, 2012.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

We have been finding the odd couple of very lethargic wasps in the house over the past week or so. I thought they were coming in through the window in the bathroom. However on Tuesday when I was fixing the heating thermostat I could hear buzzing and tracked it down to the air vent at the top of the stairs. When I looked up from the window I could see the wasps flying in and out. I have been spraying Raid killer in during the last few days, but they are still there. We had a nest in the eaves last year that cost £60 to have neutralised. Does anyone know if now the colder months are on the way will this kill them or will they hibernate until next year? In short do I need to spent £60 or let nature do its stuff?

Cheers
    Rusty

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Being that my mother went to coma 3 times in different occasions following wasp bites, I am kind of very wary of them...
    They obviously found a comfy place where to live and they like it there, so expect them to come back even if you eradicate them.
    Anyway you can take some inspiration from our previous posts:
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/wasps-nest.15209/
    good luck

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they all die off in the winter, apart from the queens & drones. Spruce will probably know, although not exactly his field.

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    We had a nest in the lawn when I turned a section over to make a bed and left it to rot down.
    We called in a guy to treat the swarm and it didn't help. Within a few days the wasps were as active as ever.
    As a last resort (before disturbing it and hoping for the best) I applied Nippon (usually used for Ants) in and around the access holes.
    Within a couple of days I could see no more wasps.
    As a precaution, after a week, I turned the ground over again. No wasps

5. loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +210
    as far as I have heard the wasps will vacate the nest, the queen will built a new one in spring

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,002
      We often get wasp's nests in our attic, their activity falls off over the winter but on sunny days a few wake up and start buzzing about and get into the house. I've always treated them myself using Nippon ant killer powder, just sprinkle it around the entrance to the nest and the wasps take it and and pass it around, the nest is killed within a couple of days. This only works if you can easily access the nest.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,002
      I usally sprinkle the Nippon using a couple of long canes tied together with a youghurt pot lashed to the end, put the powder in the pot and then I can reach most nests on our roof without having to get too close. Tip the powder around the entrance (they usuallay get into my attic via under the tiles).

• Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
      Ratings:
      +489
      We have wasps nests most years and they've never been a problem. Show them love ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I had a wasps nest last year. Figured that as they weren't harming anyone then I wouldn't harm them. Even helped lots of them on their way as they got stuck on windowsills, etc :wub2:

I did get stung once but it was my own fault - thought I'd put a wasp outside only it was caught in my dressing gown and when I put my hand down it stung me. Still didn't kill it though, it wasn't his fault (although I may have sworn at the blighter).

They didn't come back this year, so the queen must have gone elsewhere :blue thumb:

I would only ever kill the nest if there was someone in the house who was allergic because that would be dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,230
          Last year we had a wasp nest in the roof of our summerhouse. I was going to leave it alone until they started coming inside. It's not very relaxing trying to sit there, with friends, and having dozens of wasps flying around. Particularly when they go for the jam butties! We puffed wasp powder into the holes the wasps (very much like ant podwer but stronger) we using in the rain gully. That stopped them.

If using it where you can't just puff it and run then you need to cover up well. Trousers tucked in socks (don't forget to put your shoes back on and don't use wellies), sleeves tucked in gloves, a bit of net curtain (or similar) draped over your head and tucked into your shirt - with a hat on to hold it in place. Then puff - and run like hell.

• Like Like x 1
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            My wife had a wasps nest under her bath behind the bath panel and the wasps had gained access from outside where some mortar was missing around the overflow pipe.

It had to go!

P.S. Wasp (and ant) killers are half price at Wilkos at the moment.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,167
            P.S. Wasp (and ant) killers are half price at Wilkos at the moment.
            Well done Mr Moneywise. What would we do without you?

If using it where you can't just puff it and run then you need to cover up well. Trousers tucked in socks (don't forget to put your shoes back on and don't use wellies), sleeves tucked in gloves, a bit of net curtain (or similar) draped over your head and tucked into your shirt - with a hat on to hold it in place. Then puff - and run like hell.
            Video please Mr Shiney,:dbgrtmb:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,281
            I had one a couple of years ago in the attic
            I paid for the Council of death £35 to exterminate
            He took my cash then informed me as it was October they would all be dead anyway by Nov and the Queen would overwinter elsewhere
            I was a bit miffed until I understood the Queens idea of elswhere was two foot further along :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 3
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Bit like the bloke from the council in the hitchikers guide, Arthur thought he was the window cleaner, so he paid him a fiver, he wiped a few windows then told Arthur that he'd come round to tell him his house was going to be demolished.

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,946
              I've put some powder in this evening so I will see how it goes over the weekend. Thanks all for your input.

Rusty