1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasps

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Hornbeam, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    While raking my meadow hay, I felt a sharp sting on my leg (wearing shorts). I thought that I must have backed into a nettle, but when I looked down I saw that it was a wasp. Reinforces what I have said before - unless you have an allergy, a wasp sting is no worse than a nettle sting and doesn't irritate anywhere near as long. However, I had to leave the raking because I noticed a neat round hole in the ground like a mouse hole. Wasps were pouring out of it. When a wasp stings, it gives out a signal to others. So the troops were coming out to defend their home. Quite right too! As it's a long way from the house, I shall leave them in peace and continue work when they have settled down.

2. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My OH went out on the scoot for a ride today and got stung in the face by a wasp ... not the most pleasant of things esp if you have a phobia like he does, but like you say - they don't do much harm and you just have to get the vinegar on it where the sting went in.