1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WATER CRESS

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GARDENANGEL, Nov 24, 2005.

1. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A question, would you eat water cress used in the filtration of a fish pond, to eliminate nitrates. I've been told that no you shouldn't because of the toxins, what do you think?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    What toxins? I dont really know, but surely fish waste is only the aquatic version of manure. :confused:

[ 24. November 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Years ago we were told not to eat watercress gathered from rivers etc because it contains some sort of minute wireworms that would live in your intestine if swallowed. True? don't know, but it sure put us off gathering wild watercress.
    :confused:

4. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for answers.

Jjordie, your answer has certainly put me off.

Peter2255 when I bought the cress at my local garden centre, I was told that I should not eat it as it was being used in my pond for filteration purposes, apart from any treatments that maybe administered to my koi, and indeed they were treated with Potassium Permanganate/Malachite this year, it was recommended that the cress not be used for humans consumtion as it was not known what else would be living in the water toxins of otherwise.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Oh! :eek:
    I usually buy it in the supermarket in spring and throw it in my pond. I've never tried eating it, though I have thought about it.
    I've only got goldfish, so I dont give them any treatments of any kind.

6. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Pete, watercress is lovely in a salad and is extremely good for you, has lots vitamin C and helps prevent cancer. Also, as Jamie Oliver says, 'it's got a nice peppery taste'!! :D

[ 30. November 2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: jjordie ]