1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Water feature plans

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Prkns, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +303
    I'm planning the next phase of the garden which just so happens to be a water feature. I've attached plans as to what i'm hoping to create, i'm just lost on what kind of pump i'll need to cover the height and distance of where the water will be dropping from.

I was hoping to create something like the attached just using different materials and different type of design, but i want to make it myself if possible. I also don't want as much water coming out of the end as the attached has... so i was wondering about variable power pumps? (if that's even a thing?)

I hope the plans that i designed are easy enough to follow ;)

WaterFeature.jpg

8fb97114b265550a76d2419919f7c701.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    There's a little valve on most pumps (usually a gate valve) that you can turn to adjust the water flow. Just get a strong enough pump and then you can turn the flow down if need be.

Don't buy one with a transformer because invariably they're "indoor" transformers and have to be put indoors and the waterfall isn't normally near enough to indoors!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
      Ratings:
      +303
      Thanks for the reply @kindredspirit, i was just wondering what size pump i'd need? I've seen ones that do 3500L per hour, 2000L per hour, etc

If i've got to get water lets say 1m horizontally and 1.5m vertically, surely i'm going to need a pretty powerful pump to begin with? This is completely new to me so i'm just making sure that i don't mess it up ha ha

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I use a Hozelock 1500 on my pebble pool . The triple tulip fountain heads are about 1 metre high . This size would not be powerful enough for your spec above. They do make a 4000 series pump this may have the power for your waterfall. You are best to speak to someone to recommend the correct power you need.
      http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/hzcd-table

• Useful Useful x 1
      • WaterFeature

WaterFeature Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        The feature shown in my avatar photo is 300mm wide and has a 7800 litre/hour pump. There is a regulator (just a plastic tap really) in the hose from the pump. With this I turn the flow rate down to get the cascade running just right.