Water fountain drinking bowl

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Val.., Nov 30, 2014.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Well my 20 year old puss has started having bladder problems, last week he spent 2 nights at the vets on a drip, I want to encourage him to drink more water, does anyone use one of these? if so are they any good?

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    Never used one myself and what i gather from working in a pet shops it just boils down to the cats preferences

Does the cat go outside at all? Because mine prefer to drink disgusting water so i have a chair that fills up and bowls out there for them to drink out of. I also have a big dog bowl if water in the kitchen that if im honest i let go a bit dirty because its the only way they will drink it.

Sorry hes been having problems hope you manage to get him to take on more liquid.

Just a thought tho is he on dry food? Because you could add a splash of water to that to help increase intake. Obv if hes on wet its already got water in

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,319
    I agree with Dips. None of the cats that frequent our garden would drink form the freshly filled water bowl. They all drink from one of the numerous bird bath/drinking bowls, which are only cleaned very infrequently.

4. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    No, he is on wet food, Gourmet senior, I don't like dry food for cats!!:nonofinger:

It is probably the rainwater which they like, it doesn't have chlorine etc in it.!!

I bought a fountain anyway. :redface:

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Val,I have used one of these in the past and they are very good.Just remember to keep emptying the contents every couple of days and start with fresh again.

I have also got the one that dispenses crunchies but found that the crunchies wouldn't fall down quick enough,so a bad design really although they have probably improved nowadays.We got ours from Argos.

Our Poppy is on Thyroid meds which is destroying her kidneys so she drinks lots and lots of water each day:sad:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      Each to their own. There are pros and cons of both but personally i prefer dry

Hope he uses the water fountain tho

• Val..

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      What are the pros of dry food?

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      A few are

Its better for weight management and teeth and gum health for the cat

Also its better in the summer because it cant be contaminated with fly eggs etc

• Disagree Disagree x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,390
        Yes, I have two of them. One is called Pioneer, it is stainless steal, has a filter in it, that one is kept outside, easy to fill for my cat lady if I go away, and easy to clean. The other one, is inside, it has a extra supply container so it lasts 2 weeks if needed, it also has a filtering system. Both run water continuely though so movement is always. The cats love it, and drink often. Both get a cleaning out weekly, sometime have to use Q-Tips for the small places . I have had these for years. My cats are on dry food, as I leave it out daily. And spoon out some wet in the AM and PM for them. I do have 7 cats, 4 like coming inside, using the cat door, 3 prefer staying outside, they have a heated cat house , and other cat shelters to go to. All cats are about 10 years old now and in great health.

• Like Like x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Ratings:
          +10,390
          YEP, the moist does invite flies with eggs in the warm weather, that is why I only give out what they will eat now, and leave dry for the rest of the day. But of course all gets lots of leftovers, chicken, meat, pork, again, only the amount they can eat at one setting. Yes, hard is better for the health of the teeth, the cats that can be handled by the vet have no issues with their teeth, so all good there.

• Like Like x 1
          • Val..

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            Excellent, I am hoping that my cat will like it as well. Puss is back in the vets this morning having an Xray, they think it may be due to stones?

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            Mine are solely only on dry food they have a feeder which filters down and help themselves when they want.

They do get extra pieces of meat and fish now and then but no wet food

The vets always praise me for how brilliant a healthy they are and what great condition their teeth and coat are in.

Only criticism recently was one cat had put on quite a bit of weight and thats because a women down the road was feeding her wet food

I have had cats on wet food before and dry and honestly i prefer dry because the cats have always been a lot healthier

And a bonus is it doesn't smell and it doesn't matter if i go away for a night or two because they are sorted

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,390
            Look at the ingredients of the dry, lots have only filler, wheat, or rice in the first two to three ingredients listed. Need to say Protein, and another Protein, then the rice (etc). Cats really need the meat. And no need for the food coloring, that is for humans. Get the most natural dry you can find, with the least additives.

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            Yep :-)

The main downside to dry food is UTIs if the cat isnt taking on enough water

But it all depends on the individual cats as well some prefer wet or dry anyway my mums cat wont go near wet food.

Others it will depend on what they can stomach if they have food allergies and intolerances

The it also boils down to the life style of the cat and the human as well

There is no right or wrong as long as the cat is happy and healthy. Its just down to what suits and preferences

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,390
            I spend a lot on cat food. One of my guys is on a special diet because he had crystals 7 years ago, after major surgery costing lots, he is good to go all these years. He knows that the one type of dry cat food is his, and will only go to that bowl. The others get a different dry, but a good one. And yes, they eat from both areas. And then there are the leftovers, and some cans of cat food for a few tablespoons here and there.