1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Water softeners and Eczema

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by joolz68, Apr 15, 2012.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    Hi,i know its a long shot but has anyone had one fitted for eczema reasons with any good results ??
    My youngest daughter started with it approx 2/3 yr ago and its only today that i have thought maybe its the hardwater here in derbyshire that triggers it:ideaIPB: .
    She has been in manchester(softwater area where we are originally from) with relatives for 2weeks and her skin has cleared up again as it had on previous occasions she has been,ive looked at a fact sheet on the National eczema society page which says water softeners might not be the answer to eczema problems so i thought id ask on here,thanks xx

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    read a thread a while back where someone stated that they cured their eczema using colloidal silver

it may be worth researching further

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,900
      I've heard cannabis ointment works, from a mate at work who's young son had an eczema problem.
      It was French and smelt a bit, but he said its the only thing that worked.

• Like Like x 1
      • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        I shall google them both, thanks..in the meantime il try a water experiment on one of her arms just to see if i can pin point to the hard water :scratch:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,293
        Does her DIET change when away ? change of breakfast cereal
        or MILK from semi skimmed to Full Cream, or to fully skimmed ?

Different soap used, clothes washed in, if long enough away to have clothes washed

wheat, milk, and soaps are the main cause, and off course lack of SUN (VIT D)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,385
          No jack,we have all tried excluding things from her diet over the yrs and failed,ive tried gettting an allergy test requested at docs but hes adamant its eczema:dunno:
          weve changed soap powders not used softeners the lot :scratch: thats why im thinking the change from soft to hard water might be the problem,ive searched the net but can only get positive customer quotes from companys selling water softeners:hate-shocked:
          so ive taken a pic of her arms today and im going to see if putting hardwater on one makes a diff to the other :blue thumb: im might be wrong but im sick of watching her try not to scratch cos i keep screeching rub only, bless her :cry3:
          experiment underway :dbgrtmb:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          Joolz I live in a soft water area, my daughter and both my grandchildren suffer from eczema.

Thought I'd better edit this.

My granchildren are my elder daughter's, but it's my younger daughter that suffers with eczema.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          It might help as you a will find you can use much less soap & in the laundry too.. I did find this... I have put the website at the bottom as it might help..
          I do have to say though my friend moved to Wales & soft water & her daughter's skin is much better...

http://www.softwaterservices.co.uk/faq.html

• Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            • Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I wouldn't rule out allergies, even if the Docs don't think its that. They didn't work out I was allergic to cats & dogs till i'd spent the best part of my childhood in bed.

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              thanks ,il have a good read through it:blue thumb:she hasnt been using soap for at least 12months now and i always use the shower to wash her hair seperatly but even after a bath she flares up marley,ive even swapped bedrooms so she only has one radiator as i thought it might be body temp flaring it up aswell,lets hope summer clears it up a bit like jack mentioned lack of sun prob doesnt help :)

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              I cant seem to get the docs here to send her for an allergy test,its like knocking on wood with him,he told me about his kids having it and changing soap powders etc but i hadnt thought about the hard water possiblity here till yest and he wouldnt of known shes originally from a softwater area,maybe il make another appointment n see what he thinks again :biggrin: she has a dog at her nans in manchester so it cant be that :scratch: il see what her arms are like later,she was scratching her wrists this morn but like she says "she has to wash her hands after the loo no matter what":heehee:

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
            • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              Its very distracting for them sheal,ive watched jessie non stop sctratch during some nights and bog eyed for school next day,feel so sorry for kids that have eczema x