1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Watering and feeding after late autumn planting

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Star Jasmine, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm a total newbie gardener with a "clean slate" garden, into which I planted a lot of new perennials in October and November.

I've planted what I could get hold of availability-wise at this time of the year - my basic understanding and common sense suggests to me that the plants wouldn't be sold if they weren't suitable for late autumn planting! However I am unsure how to care for these new plants over the winter.

I have just planted the following:

Winter flowering jasmine
    Star jasmine
    Sorbus Autumn Spire tree
    Buddleja Davidii
    Rosemary
    Lavender
    Choisya Sundance
    Heuchera
    Astilbe
    Phlox

I'm reading conflicting advice about whether these plants should be fed after planting or not. Some places say always feed the soil just before or after planting but others say don't feed in autumn.

I'm also unsure how often to water the plants over winter and how much to water them? I don't want to overdo it but equally I don't want them to dry out. Though at the moment we have a fair bit of rain so it's not a worry yet.

Sorry that I sound completely clueless. That's because I am!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    Where-abouts are you, it would help to know and might change our advice? You can put your location in your profile :blue thumb:

Generally in the UK right now I'd say it's too late to feed newly planted perennials. What did you put in the planting holes? All I would do is apply a light mulch to help them through the winter then feed them in the spring when they start growing again.

Keep an eye on them drying out, especially if they are planted close to a fence or hedge. Just stick your fingers into the soil and check for them drying out - it's more likely in the early spring than at this time of year.

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,254
      Traditionally, bone-meal was added to planting holes. It provides slow-release phosporus which encourages root growth without stimulating sappy new growth which is vulnerable to cold. If you want to add some to already planted shrubs and climbers, SJ, it could be 'tickled' into the loose soil around them now.
      As JWK says, mulching is an excellent way of physically protecting the roots/ rootballs during winter. Definitely keep a close eye on any plants with peat-based rootballs during the first two Springs /summers.

• Like Like x 3
      • Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
        +62
        I just put compost in the planting holes as I was unsure about feeding and almost everything I read just mentioned compost. Then I read more about feeding and started to worry!

I'm in the UK - the north east coast, specifically.

I do have a new box of blood, fish and bonemeal, as well as a bottle of tomato feed which I was told was good for jasmine! So might add some of the former around the newly planted plants.

What would you recommend as a good mulch? I'm so new to this that I have never actually bought mulch before! Going to the garden centre on Friday so will pick something up then.

Thank you!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,020
        Sprinkle a little around the plants, don't exceed the dosage given on the packet.

You don't have to buy it, if there is a compost heap or a pile of grass clippings or similar then spread some of the well rotted stuff to around 2" deep. Keep it away from the stems of the plants, the idea is to provide a covering for the root ball. I suppose Garden Centres will sell stuff like bark chippings which would make a good mulch.

• Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
        +62
        We don't have compost or grass clippings - we have a small courtyard garden with not much of anything. :) Will pick up some bark chippings then - thank you. Thank you also for the feeding tips!