Watering/feeding tomatoes? (Confused!)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by BastLoki, Aug 3, 2013.

1. BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Heya, I was just going through this month's Gardener's World magazine and it said that I should 'lift' my big tomatoes somewhat and deprive them of water to ensure that the fruit ripens in time. HOWEVER, it also said I need to continue to feed them.

The feed I use is a liquid tomato fertilizer that is diluted in water, so how can I feed without watering??

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,608
    Sorry I don't understand that advice either. Just keep on watering and feeding as normal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,309
      Sounds a bit gardeners world ish.
      :snork:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        My Father used to reduce the watering of his toms right at the end of the season, plus remove lots of lower leaves (the term for this is "lifting", as in crown raising of trees), both of which were supposed to hasten ripening of the last tomatoes, but some has suggested these methods are just old wives tales. But it's far too early to considering doing that just yet. I always think Gardeners World and the Real World are two different things,

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Best tell @Doug Harding that one then :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
            Ratings:
            +3,499
            Still have a load of time yet, what a load of..................

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
            Ratings:
            +3,035
            Keep feeding and watering. You'll probably haveto keep this up for about another 6 to 8 weeks or as long as the plants are putting on growth. "Ripens in time?" In time for what? All you need is the fruit to ripen on the plant before it gets hit by frost. If you are growing in a well insulated GH you can dig up the plants and suspend them upside down and let them ripen or just pick the toms and bring them indoors to ripen.
            A couple of years ago we had 'fresh picked' toms with Christmas dinner from upside down toms from our GH.

That Gardener's World advice sounds like a load of 'spherical objects' :catapult:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Hmm, I'm not doing to dis GW (I was given a subscription to aid my knowledge :heehee: and, to be fair, my knowledge has been aided ) but I do appreciate some of these articles may be, at worst, regurgitated, or, at best, written months in advance of publication.

*This* year has been a late starter for everyone and the weather has put growth back by a month or so (at least that is my understanding).

Let's take the advice on face value: how do you feed without watering? Well, a GC member advised me that once the flowers form, you feed weekly - so, if you shouldn't water, but should continue to feed, logic states that you add your diluted feed weekly yet not water in between. But, this year is different. If I do not water my toms regularly, I'm getting curly-sad-leaf. A good heads-up that it is thirsty! If I don't give them enough water, my understanding is that they will split.

I'm watering mine as required, feeding weekly as advised: and the point about taking off leaves is to allow the maximum amount of light to reach the fruit. (Although in the heat I'm getting, those leaves are giving much needed shade to avoid evaporation right now and much will depend on your location).

I admit I've only been gardening on a serious note this past year or so and my experience is limited.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,309
              I only grow outdoors these days and so dont water toms much, if any.
              In a greenhouse you must continue watering and feeding, especially if in containers.

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
              +134
              Taking the bottom leaves off might improve airflow around the plants. It`d be less favourable for fungus and keeping leaves off the soil is good from a blight point of view. Toms dont need light to ripen so its not going to help with that :)