1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Watering pots in troughs

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Stevie, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Stevie

Stevie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a brand new gardener (and a very late starter!) 8 I am making a balcony garden putting flowers in pots in troughs. Do I water the directly into pots or into the trough. Can there be water lying in the bottom of the trough or would this be overwatering?

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,182
    Hi Stevie,
    :sign0016: to Gardeners Corner. With "container gardening" there has to be a drainage outlet as plants do not like to be permanently soggy (unless they are pond marginals) and it's a bit of trial and error until you get to know your plants /pots' needs.
    I prefer to water from below so I have my pots sat in saucers and try and make sure they don't stand in water too long.
    Others will be along soon and will give you more advice.
    Meanwhile, have a wander round the threads - plenty of photos and inspiration,
    Jenny namaste

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    There are some plants that will be happy to have their pots sat in an inch of water but, generally, most won't like that. If you can fill the trough, let the pots soak up the water for, say, 10 minutes and then drain the trough that would be best.

5. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172