1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

watering the garden.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liz, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have been planning a watering system using the slope of my garden, and have just heard from The Tank Exchange that they supply a pump which will do. I have got 4 water butts in the garden and I want to pump the water from each as it fills in winter to a large tank at the top of the garden.
    The garden slopes upwards away from the house, ending up about 30' higher over the 150' length, so is quite hard work and I think I should get some use out of the slope! The only other advantage is the view from the top.
    I have found an eBay supplier who has recycled 350 gallon containers for a reasonable amount, so all I need to know before going ahead is the hosepipe situation. I believe Palustris said that hosepipes if banned would not be allowed even if you were using water butts only. Is this really true? It sounds quite daft.
    We haven't a ban here yet.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Liz, I do not know the position. But if you are not refilling your water butts from the mains, I cannot see any logic in banning use of a pipe to empty your butts.

The purpose of a hosepipe ban is to reduce consumption of mains and river water. You are not consuming mains or river water. I cannot see any Judge in a court of law convicting you.

Every car has one or two hoses to circulate water in the cooling system. I am sure they are not covered by the ban.

3. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Liz, thought this was interesting, although not your area (or mine) there is a useful phone number at the bottom to Hozelock Hoseline whom I imagine could answer your questions.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=167373

So for the rest of us, all we need to do is place a load of old containers around the garden, and fill them with a hose! Daft as a brush! :D

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I have a advantage here, or have I, I live on the banks of the river Severn and it would be very easy indeed to pop a pipe in and pump water out but I believe that is also not allowed. My garden is 15 feet above water level and 10 feet away so it is quite feasable. Otherwise if there is a ban my plants will go short like most of you.

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    We haven't got a ban here yet. But I have a neighbour who is on the council and preaches to all that we must save now to avoid a ban. He was out at 5 o'clock with a watering can on his veg when several of us were mowing etc:...What a role model to us all!...but at this very moment he is up his garden with a hose pipe!!
    Cut my rates and I'll comply with a ban...if not.. [​IMG]

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No hose pipe ban here as yet - but the rules governing the use of a hose pipe are little bizarre. You can't water your garden, or wash your car with one - but you can fill a swimming pool, or jet a patio :(

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hans - I am also living on the banks of a river and very interested in pumping out water, not just for garden, but I believe that this problem will only get worse.

The village up the road Allerston has no mains water, it all comes from the beck so no water rates!

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Liz - a quote from another site :-

The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991 specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply can be restricted. It is perfectly legal to connect a hosepipe to any reservoir such as a water butt.