Watering this Aloe...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ennnceee, May 14, 2020.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Hello, I did post about this recently, but without response, so I thought I would try with a photo. I suppose I must be doing something right with this or, presuambly, it wouldn't flower.

When I was able to lift this I watered from the top, but since it became too heavy I've added water to the tray on a regular basis, but actually have no idea how often that should be. Any ideas?

I do realise - at least I suppose - that it should be thinned, but it's such a sight and does appear to be very healthy, I think let it be.

Thanks!Aloe!.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Alisa

Alisa Gardener

Ratings:
      +378
      Large mature flowering specimen with loads of babies (teenagers :) ). It must be getting enough light, because it's flowering. Leaves look nice, don't suffer from underwatering or overwatering.
      Now it depends on if you can afford this windowsill for the plant, or you'd like to have smaller version of aloe.
      Yes, they are overcrowded, but happy. Maybe in 1-2 years when lowest leaves dry, it will become less attractive, but for now I would leave as it is.
      Re watering: with aloe it's better underwater than overwater. Substrate to dry between waterings.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
        +40
        Many thanks, all good to know.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
        Ratings:
        +31,583
        Looks fine to me just carry on doing what you are doing. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Selleri

Selleri Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,080
          Totally agree with Pete, it looks great and is obviously thriving so carry on what you are doing :)

I have similar issue with Aloe Aristata that has filled it's container so well that I can't wedge watering can beak between the rosettes and it's living in a container without drainage holes so I can't water it from bottom. But somehow it still is happy with the very occasional droplets I manage to dribble in and flowers every summer. Great plants!

IMG-3823.JPG

• Like Like x 4
          • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
            +40
            Yes, I love it. Just keep doing the same, then...