1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterlogged

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Dec 4, 2020.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +431
    The garden in this house hasn't been touched all year, the house has been empty since March. It's very mossy and green, and today with the melting snow it's totally waterlogged. I need to fix this before springtime - what should I do?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Well afraid the crystal ball is not working today ! :biggrin:

You need to provide some pics of your garden so we can see how the how bad things are and how it slopes, if at all, and how it sits in relation to the house and other gardens, eg is yours the lowest point so the water collects.

From what we remember from one of your earlier posts, it sounds like you may have a clay problem. Is it a new build house that theyhave just backfilled the garden with clay and added some turf ?

• Like Like x 1
    • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
      Ratings:
      +431
      No not a new build, just the previous tenant died in March and the HA seem to have left it sit empty for 8 months before letting it to us. It's flat and level, its been well looked after at some point, but desperately needing some tlc now. The green is not grass, it's moss :sad:

Attached Files:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Looks like you are elevated above that house behind the fence so would not have thought drainage was a problem in your garden.

Which way is the garden facing, does it get much sun ?

When you recently moved some plants and dug them out etc, was there good soil to the bottom of the holes or a lot of thick sticky clay ?

What had you in mind for the two large borders, plants or lawns ?

Creating raised beds is a good way to avoid waterlogging , if thats your kind of thing ?

As to what you can do for now in this weather, not a lot other than making plans for better weather in spring.

The things we would suggest is to notice how quicky the current surface water drains away if you have a few days of dry weather.

You could dig a hole or two, say about a spades width and depth and it will probably fill straight up with water, but again, observe how quickly it drains away when its dry weather, ie you will be able to see if the soil is really draining away fully or just from the surface.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
        Ratings:
        +431
        Thanks for your patience and help Ricky :smile:
        Garden faces east and so far, at this time of year anyway, doesn't seem to get much sun at all.
        The soil doesn't seem clay-ey at all, its very dark and looks fertile. Grandson dug the plants out and he wouldn't notice what it was like. There's an espaliered apple tree against a fence and some blackberry bushes that are now out in full bud with this mild autumn.
        Raised beds would be good for me with my mobility if I can just get somebody to do it for me.
        I don't want grass, no lawns. I might do a square of gravel in the middle there for a tiny table and chair, and a planted border -or raised beds -around it. The far end is for the shed when we get one.
        In general do you think it's a viable garden or a nightmare? lol cos am too old tired and ratty for nightmare gardens !

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          No problem, not a lot to do in these covid times !

While all our gardens are unworkable in this weather, am sure you will be able to plan out and enjoy yours in the new year.

Plenty of options for raised beds, not just heavy railway sleeper types, see pics below.
          They can be whatever height you want, but even 1ft will aid drainage problems.
          Ours are just 1ft and made from 6" wooden fencing gravel boards lined with thick polythene.

Other things to add into your seated area plan, birdfeeders and a small pond to add wildlife, again does not have to be a dug out one, plenty of half barrel / raised types around.

Rather than a standard shed, go for one that has a bigger glazed area that can also act as a small greenhouse , if thats your thing ?

000252.jpg

000253.jpg 000254.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
            Ratings:
            +431
            Awesome. I like the green raised beds not too dear yet very neat. Bird feeders def yes, loads of birds here. Good fun planning over winter, I just didn't want to waste my time trying to do the impossible - I spent too many years doing that already :biggrin:
            Awesome help, many thanks :spinning:

• Like Like x 2
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,311
              The soil looks lovely, fumanchu! Good decision not to waste time and space on grass, which is the most high-maintenance plant in a garden. Especially when conditions are less than ideal.
              You've got the potential there to grow some beautiful plants that like cool, humid conditions. Some that spring to mind are Hostas, ferns, Rodgersias, Astilbes, Meconopsis....It might be worth doing a basic soil test to see what the PH is like. That could open up the possibility of a lot of acid-loving shrubs.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
                Ratings:
                +431
                Love astilbes and the blue poppies, will go for them :hapfeet: Wish it was April...

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,311
                Don't we all.......

• Funny Funny x 1