1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

we urgently need to move an established Acer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave Barnett, May 25, 2010.

1. Dave Barnett

Dave Barnett Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm looking for some advice i have to lift and move a very pretty variegated Maple Acer. I need to do it very soon if i don't try and save it it will be cut down. it is such a nice tree about 7' high and 4' in diameter. I know now its not the right time of year to do this and its not helped that there is limited space to dig around the roots. I don't know if the roots go deep or spread out if its spread then i will certainly have to cut through some of the roots. The tree has been in this location for 20 years it's height is stunted i believe because the soil is poor and there is not much space for the roots. is there any advice you can offer trying to get it out and if i manage to get the tree out how best to replant in a pot for couple of year or straight into a new ground site?

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Whatever way you try, you'll probably kill it, at that age it'll have a pretty big root system and it will be difficult to retain enough of the root ball for the tree to support enough water up-take.
    I knew someone who tried it. It looked OK at first but after a week the branches started dying off a few at a time.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    I agree, I cant see a tree thats been established for 20yrs likely to survive a move, even if you moved it at the right time of the year, let alone in late spring.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dave, how far is the plant being moved? If only a short distance, do the following:- Give the tree a GOOD soaking the night before moving, make sure the hole it is being transferred to is dug and well watered. Dig plant out early morning or latish afternoon when it is cool. Transplant to prepared hole, backfill, then water in. Keep the plant well watered and if possible. shaded. That is about all you can do.:old::gnthb: It is NOT a death sentence for the Acer.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I have to agree that it is not worth the effort you will have to put in
    I don't think there is a hope in he** of the tree being able to survive
    But then .... I may be wrong :)
    Incidentally ... these trees are rather shallow rooted, so you wont have to go too deep

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I agree, they are shallow rooted, but they aren't "ball rooted" like say a rhodo. That's what makes it difficult. By the time you get out out of the ground it's likely to be "bare rooted" which is why it'll die.