1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weed grass / rough grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Padraig Connolly, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Padraig Connolly

Padraig Connolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm a new member of this site and have to say im really impressed with it!
    I need a little bit of help re weed grass.

I moved into my new house in November and there was a large patch of "grass" lighter than all the rest and concentrated to one area. It was taller than the rest of the grass which probably indicates it grows quicker and seems to grow not only vertically but horizontally across the area it was taking up.

I cut it back and used scissors to get rid of as much of it as possible, I thought I had killed it, however it has started to come back and now it seems to have a purple tinge to it. I haven't sprayed it with anything I simply cut it back when it appears.

I have let it grow a little bit to try and identify it.

The new leaf seems to grow from the middle of the plant and from what I can see grows ina folded manor.

I'm hoping to kill this grass and reseed the area it was in.

I am by no means an expert so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Attached Files:

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Padraig

Welcome to the forum.
    This could be couch grass. You could spray with glysophate, but may need a few applications. How big is the area in question?

Rusty

3. Padraig Connolly

Padraig Connolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rusty,

Thank you for getting back to me :)
    Okay having had a look on the Internet it sounds like it can be a bit of a nightmare.... It occupies a space about 1m x 1m.

Padraig