1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weed identification

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Matty Kelly, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Matty Kelly

Matty Kelly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have loads of these weeds growing in my garden a huge bulge has emerged where all there roots are. there is littrely hundreds of roots thick ones small all wrapped around each other. Any addvice will be appricited thanks

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,150
    Ground elder?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Are the roots white or brown? I think we are going to need more pics of the whole plant and any flowers, buds or seeds. Also the bulge where the roots are.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,337
        Looks like ground elder....The chemical approach is Glyphosate or 2,4D and keep zapping it at 6-weekly intervals until it gives in. Non-chemical approach is to cover the ground with a light-excluding material, but as soon as you remove it or disturb the soil, the weed is likely to reappear....

• Matty Kelly

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you for replys the roots are brown i have googled ground elder and it looks like that thank you all

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Yup, ground elder has brown roots. If there is only one patch it might be an idea to dig out as much as possible, using a fork so that the roots don't break too much. If you loosen the soil you can often tease out complete sections of root. There will always be some left, though, so you may have to follow up with one of Noisette's solutions. If it's a huge area, I think chemical is the easiest way to go.

• Like Like x 2
        • Matty Kelly

Ratings:
          +0
          Its an area about 3 meters long 1.5 meters wide i have done a little digging in area it has effected and it does not look good possibly 100 meteres of roots all tangled. Looks like the chemicle approch is what i need thank you all