weed killer kills everything :|

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by PercyFlinger, Apr 19, 2019.

1. PercyFlinger

PercyFlinger Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hey all I am trying to get rid of the nettles and other weeds that are all over the place in my jungle, erm, garden.

[​IMG]

my question is, I bought some weed killer and a backpack sprayer today but the weed killer is in concentrated form, I have put 7 litres of water and 250ml of weed killer in the sprayer and before I do anything, the weed killer says it will kill grass, flowers and hedging and all other green stuff. Is this normal or have bought the wrong stuff. I was under the impression weed killer killed weeds ?

[​IMG]

I want to spray around the steps but there is rose bushes close by, the area on the right of the steps is supposed to be a border with just the rose bushes in there but as you can see its a mass of crap, much like the front area of the house was before I tackled it. I don't want to kill anything that's not meant to killed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,358
    Its called weed killer because you use it to spray on weeds, you dont use it on plants you want to keep.
    There are a few that kill broad leaved plants but not grass, those are mostly used in lawn weedkillers.

3. PercyFlinger

PercyFlinger Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    so @pete are you saying I can spray the nettles sticking out the lawn and the lawn will be fine ? I am not a gardener hence the second question. It says don't go near your lawn on the weed killer bottle ?

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,358
    Well, as I said, only lawn weedkiller does not kill grass.
    Can you tell me the name of the product?

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    @PercyFlinger If you have got a garden fork,the large variety not a hand fork you can dig out the nettles without spraying them with weed killer just make sure you wear good gardening gloves so you don’t sting yourself or you could leave them as some butterflies lay their eggs on nettles and use it as a food source for the young caterpillars.Nettles in your garden is a sign of fertile soil....:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • PercyFlinger

PercyFlinger Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      thanks for the replies people,

@pete the product is resolva weedkiller 24h concentrate by westland
      says kills weeds and roots fast, visible results in 24hours

@Kandy ok I didnt know that, I will leave other nettles in place around the garden, just don't really want them around the steps, thanks for the info about digging them up also :)

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,358
      Resolva is the trade name that Westland use for their weed killers.
      I notice there is a Resolva lawn weedkiller, but unless yours states it is for use on lawns and will not kill grass, I wouldn't use it on grass you want to keep.

In short I think you must have one that kills grass.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,124
        Weed killer is tricky stuff @PercyFlinger . If it kills grass it will also kill just about any other plant that any of the spray gets on.. You can use it specifically but very very carefully on your path because if any of the spray touches your roses and good plants you want to keep you will lose them or at least make them sickly..
        For the weeds in your lawn buy a weed and feed and apply after cutting following the instructions..
        Oh and only spray weed killer on a calm day as it will travel on the wind to good plants that way as well..

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,559
          Agree with @Kandy , nettles are not bad at all. If possible, dig them up and re-seed the patch with compost and grass seed.

Nettles are delicious, use them like spinach. Just strip off the leaves (wearing gloves), freeze them in bags and use as needed. Great as a soup, or added into potato mash.

Lovely photos btw, misty spring sunshine- looks great :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,184
            Hi,

In your situation and experience I would avoid big spraying units and even the small hand spray bottles as it all too easy to catch the plants you want to keep.

Much better to use one of these gels that you paint onto the leaves, but use some rubber kitchen gloves when applying it.

Two things thats not been mentioned and a much better to do , is on the grassed areas use a proper lawn weedkiller, usually the granular Weed and Feed types, though again ensure you do not sprinkle it onto the surrounding plants you want.

In the boarders, nothing to beat some hand weeding along with the Gel if needed.
            Be aware that some weed killers act straight away and the plant turns brown and dies in a day, but other killers appear to make the weeds grow several times faster than normal and kind of stand up, thats how they work, so just leave them alone and let the process fully kill them off

001562.jpg

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +13,960
              I've looked it up and your concentrate contains glyphosate so yes, it will kill anything green that it comes into contact with...weeds, grass, plants. If you want to minimise collateral damage to nearby plants here are some tips. Wear rubber gloves, as mentioned above! Regulate the nozzle on your sprayer to give a narrow, concentrated jet. Cut the bottom out of a 9" - 12" plastic flowerpot. Use this over the weeds you want to eliminate and spray into the pot, so containing the spray. For weeds such as bindweed with long stems, use a jam jar half-buried in the soil. Half-fill with diluted weedkiller and stuff as many stems as possible into the jar. Leave for a couple of weeks. For weeds growing right into treasured plants, use a narrow paintbrush to treat the leaves of the weeds without affecting the other plants. Be patient. A systemic weedkiller takes time to kill the roots. Some, like brambles, ground elder, field thistle and bindweed need ongoing treatments on new growth when it appears.

• PercyFlinger

PercyFlinger Gardener

Ratings:
                +10
                @pete
                @Marley Farley
                @Selleri
                @ricky101
                @noisette47

thanks for the help and info, I will proceed with caution and will only do the weeds around the house and patio with the sprayer. I had also bought another product yesterday
                [​IMG]

I think this is what you refer to @Marley Farley. I will go with this method for the lawn nettles, I bought this because the lawn is covered in moss and was hoping this would take care of that.

@noisette47 some great ideas there I will use to contain the sprayer, thanks a lot for that
                @Selleri nettle soup :smile: not sure about that :D

again thanks for all the help people, much appreciated :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,124
                  OK @PercyFlinger That is exactly the one I use and have had great results from it too.. I put it on in the evening after I cut the lawn and if no rain forecast I do a slow walk around with the hose on sprinkler and that seems to water it in well..;) It took two doses when I first used this to get it really going and Moss and weeds gone.. Have fun and most of all enjoy that garden.! :biggrin::SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1