1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Weed or plant

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Janet mahay, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi I have no idea where or what this is maybe some sort of ivy but I pulled up.lots but it still coming I even got it growing in raspberry tub no wonder I had plenty of leaves no raspberries
    I thought a first a mouse plant as some got a little thin brown bit at the end ofthe leaf and yet some have vines like ivy hanging?but could it be a weed?as Next door garden is so neglected its terrible some donrt deseve a garden so any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,007
    It's a common Violet. I have lots of it. You have to get rid of all the roots to eliminate it otherwise it will keep growing back.
    The thin brown bits you mention are seed pods, I can see one in the 2nd photo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Thanks why I asked cause these have never flowered just got pods on them so dont violets always flower? I have to clean out the raspberry but I think I get a new one I leave rhe volets to grow at the back sides but not everywhere

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,007
      The ones in my garden were bought by my late partner and had dark purple leaves and lovely flowers in the spring time, but over the years I think they have reverted to a wild species and I never see any flowers on them now. I see plenty of see pods but because I don't see the flowers I don't know they're there until they have dispersed the seeds and turned brown. They spread relentlessly everywhere.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,292
        Violets can look really lovely in flower but they are very invasive. We have both purple and white ones growing in our garden and although looking very nice we fight a constant (losing) battle trying to keep them from spreading. Although their roots don't go deep they grow like a mass of hairs and grip very tightly to the surface of the soil.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
          +438
          Very useful thread for me, as I planted some Violets earlier this year and am looking forward to them flowering next spring. Many are in pots, so hopefully they won't be invasive or take over other plants. I got three cultivars of Sweet Violets, Royal Wedding (white), Queen Charlotte (violet) and a red-purple one. I am hoping the cultivars will be more reliable flowerers. I wanted something to flower in spring and fragrance is a big plus, but I also have Cyclamen for winter and spring which need a bit of space and can be choked by stronger growing plants.