1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weeds in lawn

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by LexiLou, Mar 31, 2017.

1. LexiLou

LexiLou Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG Hi everyone,

I'm a complete novice with this gardening malarkey. We just bought our first house, with our first garden, and want to make it look really good but haven't a clue what we're doing! We've just got a lawn at the moment and there's weeds growing there that I was hoping you could help me identify and treat please? I've attached photos. There's definitely moss in an area where the previous owners had a trampoline, 1st pic. I put down some weed and feed last week so that's starting to go brown but there's two other patches of weeds and I'm not sure what they are, as they're not going brown at all. The 3rd one looks like clover....I think and the second one could be some sort of moss too but I'm just guessing

Any help or advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Lou

Attached Files:

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    The third picture is clover. Let it be is my philosophy. It fixes nitrogen and is a very good plant indeed. It will do the grasses good. My view is the more species in the lawn the greater the biodiversity and better for nature. Also keep the grass on the long side. There are many who will disagree with my views and want a perfect lawn but for me the more insects that are around, the better for nature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      Pic 1 looks like an area of grass that is dead Springy turf moss... but flourishing Liverwort. The ground is probably so wet and shaded in that area, the grass has died off because the roots have rotted away. Weedkiller doesn't touch Liverwort but fatty acid based products will.

Pic 2 - can't get fine detail but looks to be a patch of Poa annua (AKA annual meadow grass) about to shed seeds everywhere. It looks different from the other grass because it is concentrated in one area, and often creates a lighter or yellowish shade of green and is a different texture to neighbouring grass. Almost every lawn will aquire this weed grass and some seed blends contain this in small quantities and the only way to get rid of it is to dig it out or spray with a non-selective weedkiller (ideally Glyphosate only). Often though PA blends in with the rest of the grass and doesn't cause a nuisance unless the main grass is weakened.

But the brown patch near it could be the makings of a 'fairy ring', which can be down to certain types of fungii (Marasmius oreades for example) which gradually spread outwards, killing areas of grass but boosting the adjacent grass - before eventually killing it, eventually reaching its ideal size.

Pic 3 - exactly as @Redwing confirmed. Your feed and weed will kill the current clover growth off but it may arise in the future from seeds present in the lawn.

• LexiLou

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks so much! Oracles of knowledge! :smile:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,593
      We have three acres of yellow crap weeds appearing . husband rolled out weed and feed all over the other day. another application probably necessary. Pain.

• LexiLou

Ratings:
      +2
      What a pain! We've discovered that the weed and feed actually feeds the meadowgrass so it's everywhere now! :gaah: