Weeds/Weedol MAX/Turf

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by akki007, May 21, 2009.

1. akki007

akki007 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have sprayed some weeds with Weedol Max (I don't expect the roots to die). I have a rotorvator on Saturday so I will be turning over the soil in my garden (Currently all soil, no turf) and then what i WANT to do is lay turf on Sunday. Will I be ok laying turf on Sunday having sprayed Weedol today?

Thanks

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    weedol is a burn off weedkiller. whilst it will kill seedling weeds and small grases for anything deep rooted it is innefective. If you treated seedling weeds then youll be fine rotovating Saturday but for well established weeds you need to use something stronger and wait.

What weeds did you spray?

For persistent weeds then your best bet is to spray with roundup with 2 weeks before cultivating.

3. akki007

Ratings:
    +0
    But it won't kill turf if I was to lay it on Sunday?

Can I not just rotovate and rake the roots out before turfing?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It`s the roots you want to kill not the topgrowth. Take heed of Progards advice, and have a little patience. Why pay for turf when you know these weeds are going to grow through it in a matter of days?:old:

5. akki007

Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate that, and I completely agree...but...the turf is on it's way!

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You have a maximum of a week to get the weeds out. If you rotovate Saturday and lay the turf Sunday you are just making work for yourself. Stack the turf, BUT keep it moist.

7. akki007

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, it's a plan. But, can I not just put the hard work in and dig the weeds out before rotovating? There aren't that many to be honest and they are all small things!

I want my lovely green turf ready by the end of Sunday!!! ;)

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you think you can get every piece of root out, then go for it. I hope you are right.:gnthb:

9. akki007

Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not every piece, but ultimately aren't weeds going to come through anyway? I know I need to get as may out as poss, and I will be doing for several hours tomorrow!

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think you are perhaps over imagining it guys!

He's sprayed off the annual rubbish, and its probably killed some of the other stuff.

Lets assume there are docks, mares tails, ground elder, bind weed, and all the Bad Guys ...

So its all rotavated up to make a nice tilth, and the turf is laid. Sounds good to me. It will be being mowed soon, which will suppress some weeds.

All the rubbish then starts to come up. Its all coming up from small bits of roots, so somewhat diminished in strength.

Added to that he has had a good go at getting the worst of it out before rotavating.

So some weed is going to appear in the turf. But here again some rubbish is going to appear anyway.

The more that appears the more effort it will take to control it with Weed & Feed, or selective weed killers (and I think it would be fair to say that paying good money for weed-free turf is a bit daft if you are having to treat it for weeds a few months later ... but ...)

When I moved in here 3 years ago the lawns hadn't been well looked after, and were full of moss and the normal lawn weeds. I have had other priorities, so did not devote much time to getting the lawns better, but I have done:

Cut with good Cylinder Mower regularly :thumb:
    Weed and Feed first two years, and also some spot-weeding with Selective weedkiller
    Autumn feed
    This year just fertilizer, and planning to do Selective Weedkiller shortly.

The lawn isn't brilliant, but for something that hasn't had much time devoted to it its pretty good! People remark how good they look (naive folk, for sure, but none-the-less I'm chuffed)

So I think, given that the turf is arriving anyway, suggestions for mitigating any perceived problems, and pointing out any actual, likely, problems, would be better than declarations that it isn't ideal!

12. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,169
    I have a suspicion that the turf is going down this weekend regardless! Ideally, go with Paul's advice, otherwise get out as much as possible (be diligent!) and go with Kristen.

Give us an update on how it looks in a couple of months though to see how the weeds turn out;)

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think in a couple of months the weeds will have been turfed out :)

... I'll get my coat!

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Any dandelions will push through the new turf unless properly killed off, rotovatig them will chop the roots and spread the problem.

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    They will kill off OK with Verdone, won't they Pro? (notwithstanding that it would have been better to kill them first)