Weeds!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RoyP, Jan 27, 2020.

1. RoyP

RoyP Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2
    Six months ago we moved closer into our local town, with a small rear garden and mainly because I suffer with Scoliosis and cannot walk very far or garden for very long.
    The garden was very overgrown and before Christmas my wife and I managed to clear away a lot of the undergrowth and weeds but as you can see, since then all the weeds have come back, and there is no way i can go around on bended knee trying to pull every one out they are to small for that.
    Any suggestions for an easy way to take control and keep it that way.
    Perhaps I'm asking the impossible!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Annotation 2020-01-24 163857.jpg

IMG_0576ed.JPG

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

For the gravelled area you just want to use a good weedkiller, but for the raised bed you would have to carefully use something like a Glyphosate which does not persist in the soil.
      Roundup Fast Action Weedkiller 1L | Wilko

Longer term, would suggest the plants are lifted, a weed suppressing fabric laid and then the plants returned via small slits in the fabric followed by a layer of gravel / shales etc.

Clearly not something for you to do by the sounds ok it, but probably worth paying for someone to do it properly as it should last for years with minimal maintenance ..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +13,962
        Another option, if you've got good eyesight and lots of patience, would be a long-handled hoe. They look like hairy bittercress seedlings, an annual weed, so hoeing carefully round the bulbs and perennial plants would soon dispose of them, at least as far as you can reach from the gravelled area. A thick mulch (or as ricky101 says, weed-suppressing fabric) along the top part, to smother the others, would work, as long as there are no deep-rooted perennial weeds like dandelions, thistles , docks or bindweed.
        If there is a 'paths and drives' weedkiller in UK containing a seed-germination suppressor (should guarantee weed-free for 6 months to a year) that would be more effective on the gravel than glyphosate alone, which only kills off what's already there.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • RoyP

RoyP Apprentice Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks both for your replies, very useful, much appreciated.