1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird lime tree leaf growths

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Fidosaurus, May 5, 2017.

1. Fidosaurus

Fidosaurus Apprentice Gardener

PA
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello all
    Does anyone recognise the growths on the leaves in this picture. They are all over some of the leaves on the lime trees (I believe that's what they are) in our street. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the sticky sap that gets all over everyone's cars in the summer.
    Secondly, the second picture shows a patch of greenery growing in some woods that my friends' dog Smudge just loves to eat. He doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects but we wondered what they are??

Attached Files:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I think you have to make a minimum number of posts before we can see your photos, but I am curious to see what it is that your friend's dog eats!!

Generally, I think lime trees get a lot of aphids on the new growth, so there is often a honeydew stickiness, which often grows a dark grey/black mould, underneath them. I suppose all beautiful things have to have a negative, to keep them in balance - and they are beautiful trees!

3. Fidosaurus

Fidosaurus Apprentice Gardener

PA
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't realise that about the photos.
    The growths are about 1cm long and red. They are on the top of the leaves. Very weird.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,835
      Good afternoon @Fidosaurus my friend I took the liberty of changing your image files to JPEG as they are PDF files that's why they haven't shown up;):blue thumb:

Smudges
      PFD.JPG

Street Leaf
      Capture.JPG

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,835
      Hi @Fidosaurus I had to Google it but they could be Eriophyes tiliae is a mite (an acarid, not an insect) that forms the lime nail gall or bugle gall.[2] It develops in a chemically induced gall; an erect, oblique or curved distortion rising up from the upper surface of the leaves of the common lime (linden) tree Tilia × europaea.

330px-Eriophyes_tilae_tilae_detail.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,907
        I've seen that on Lime leaves quite often early in the season, it seems to go away later in summer.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: May 5, 2017