1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Well Rotted Horse Manure, now or in Spring??

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Sally Parker, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    We have quite a sandy soil and on the RHS website, it says you shouldn't use manure on that kind of soil until Spring. But a lot of other sites have said put on in Autumn. [​IMG] Need to weed everything out first though, as our garden has been taken over !!

We will be growing mainly Brassicas next year and maybe try some leeks too.

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Well I am no expert and not going to suggest I know better than the RHS...however:) having had horses at home for over 20 years I do know quite a lot about manure funnily enough. I honestly can't see any harm in manuring your ground now. I put manure on beds as and when the manure heap gets to overflowing throughout the year.
    Perhaps the majority of the goodness might be washed out by Spring but to my mind the value of manure is to improve soil structure much much more than any fertilising benefit. If you can only manure once then maybe early Spring would be more beneficial as long as the manure is well rotted. You could afford to put on less well rotted now and let it continue the process over winter. You really can afford to put on loads as it reduces dramatically over time. I normally will put on a good 8 inches over the whole bed and it will go down to about 1/2 an inch in a year or so. Just remember that manure will be acidic and Brassicas like a limey soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,858
      I do both, Autumn and late Winter early spring, but i use cow manure and you will get some weed seeds in the manure which will be down to how clean the fields and hay are were you get the manure from

• Like Like x 1
      • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Thank silu, that's great advice from a manure expert!! :blue thumb:

Think I'll wait till Spring to manure and get some lime for the brassicas! Got to get on top of the weeds first though!!

I am also going to make up some comfrey compost too!!

I wonder if it would be ok to fertilise with a mixture of comfrey and liquid seaweed as well as the manure. :what: My garden seems to need a boost after all this rain, I think (Judging by the state of some of the plants) that a lot of nutrients have been washed out!! :frown:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        I normally put mine on late Autumn, most things have died down so less risk of burning foliage (although I avoid layering on the crown of plants) & let the worms work it in over winter. Silu is correct about improving soil structure rather than directly feeding plants

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Autumn for me too. Agree, manure is all about feeding the soil and adding structure to it. Quite different to fertiliser :)