1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WE'RE CHEAPER

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I've just been on some Astronomy forums where in the off topic subjects, the price of Cauliflower Heads is being bemoaned as they're appear to be going up to $7 in Canada and the USA. Now here in the UK the likes of Tesco are charging around £1.85p for one while only paying the growers 18p for one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Farm shops are definitely cheaper than the likes of Tesco-a-no-no :nonofinger:

Good grief! $7 !!!!! :hate-shocked: Is that Canadian dollars or US dollars?
      Maybe there is a higher demand for it there than here? :dunno:
      I know there were news items a year or two ago stating how cauliflower was out of fashion over here :dunno:
      Yet, for those who are "slimming", it is a slimmer's best friend! Cauli "rice", anyone? :whistle:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Our local fruit and veggie shop/butcher is selling huge ones for 79p. Even in the fresh food dep of Iceland they're only 99p.

Only rich or foolish people shop in chain supermarkets nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Canadian dollars, "M", and I think the Canadian Dollar is suffering in the exchange rate with the USA dollar which is why the price of things is going up, although I believe the price of a Cauliflower is rocketing in the USA as well.

Well, I think few of us take note of the "fashion" news items so a Cauliflower will always be a Cauliflower to me!! The UK growers reckon they need around 40p per Cauliflower to make it economical to grow and yet the Supermarkets are driving them into the ground just like they have the Dairy Farmers while protesting they're selling to us at their most lowest prices.:doh:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Ok, so it's not the across the pond cost issue then, it's the local Supermarket vs farmer issue? This is a global issue (one which, when highlighted in the 3rd world countries, lead to the Fair Trade movement, I believe?).

Personally, I will use local farm shops whenever I am able. OK, I do accept that may make me a niche shopper (although in Blighty, that shouldn't make it impossible for many of us) but I can see that it could be another ball game in Canada and the USA where distance can make a huge difference in choices available.

As I stated in an earlier post, I view Tesco as a no-go area for me. I dislike their accounting practices and their inflated pricing policies and their unethical treatment of their suppliers. Hence: I simply do not *go* there!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,615
            Yes, our dollar suffered, big time. But there are always opportunitists ready to justify their greed..:sad:

It also means that my coming to UK is perhaps not feasable. All of our travel arrangements are based on the US buck. Who can afford 145% on their travel dollar?

I will get there, just not this minute:)

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,090
              Canadas economy is heading south due to the oil price crash. All that Alberta oil is costing toomuch to get out now,many loosing jobs,exchange rate pain as a result. Could all reverse in a year or two quite easily.
              I tend to try and grow the expensive to buy veggies and dont bother with spuds,onions,carrots etc etc .

• Agree Agree x 1
              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,615
                And I can eat less to make up for the copious amounts of christmas cake, cookies and other delightful rubbish I have been eating :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,615
                  And I can eat less to make up for the copious amounts of christmas cake, cookies and other delightful rubbish I have been eating :snorky:

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,615
                  Wouldn't let me finish witout posting twice. Sorry for the repeat.

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    I only buy them when supermarkets have them on special offer for 49p, then the farmers get a much better percentage. Even better when Lidl sell them for 39p as the farmers would be getting a whopping 46%.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
                    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      We used our local Aldis at the weekend for the first time and although prices were a lot cheaper than Tescos there just wasn't enough variety of the products we eat.I tried the soap powder when we went to Lidl but it was such rubbish stuff for the price it didn't even wash our clothes properly,they didn't smell clean,give me Bold or Persil any day:snorky: There was only one type of cat food and it is too late in the day for me to buy it and hope that my cat will convert to it so we ended up having to drive to a pet food wholesalers to stock up on what we normally buy which luckily for us was on our way home:biggrin:

Also we couldn't even buy the Benecol or Proactive butter that we use to lower cholesterol levels and I like Semi Skimmed Cravendale milk as it has a long shelf life as I don't like the milk out of cartons that Mr Kandy likes:snorky:

We do use the farm shops for the fruit and veggies we can't grow ourselves but they are a bit of a distance to get to and we find them more expensive because the more people use them the more they charge for stuff because they have cottoned on that if people want fresh fruit and veg then they are willing to pay more for it so not a saving there.

The cauliflowers that Tescos sell for £1.85 are usually the ones the size of footballs whereas they will sell smaller ones for 45p etc.

Also with the likes of Aldi and Lidl they don't have a petrol station attached to their shops so we then have to trek to the nearest fuel station to fill up whereas at Tescos we can do it all at the same time.

I also can buy my slippers and socks and other bits from Tescos whereas the stuff in Aldis and Lidls looked a bit,...well cheap as in not good quality plus Tescos sell books,cards,DVDs stationery etc so I think at the moment I will stick to Tescos at least we get points and then vouchers to use and then when we win the lottery that we don't do we will be able to shop at the likes of Waitrose and M&S :snork:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +8,435
                        I've not read all of this thread but I have to say Tesco for me is a last resort, I cannot bare the place! Kev will do a top up shop in there during the week but for me I'd travel the extra mile or so & go to sainsburys! We are quite lucky here we have Tesco, sainsburys, asda, Aldi, waitrose, Iceland & a reasonable M&S, we also have 2 farm shops. I don't have a habit of going to one supermarket but I generally use waitrose or sainsburys depending on what I want & who has the best offers. I buy plants from Aldi, they are very reasonable. As for the cost of fruit & veg I think both are over priced, the farmers don't get enough money to produce them & in turn the supermarkets charge whatever they want for them & we seem to pay for them without really complaining. On principle I will only buy organic milk I was told by a dairy farmer that was the best milk to buy for both me & the cow!
                        I wish I had more land so I could grow more of my own veg & have more fruit trees etc. If I ran the country I'd ban supermarkets & have greengrocers, bakeries, fishmongers, more butchers etc etc just like the good old days! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
                        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31,885
                          That'll be down to all the copious amounts of Christmas cake, cookies and other delightful rubbish you've been scoffing :heehee:
                          (could you open a window, please) :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            You can get cauliflowers (and lots of other stuff) from Tesco for pennies if you go one hour before closing on Sundays for "the scrum", when staff bring out trays/trollies of stuff reduced to clear marked down to 90% off.

It's easy to find out where to wait for it, just search for a group of people looking like Big Issue sellers, rough sleepers, or they're from the local rehab clinic. When the staff bring it out you'll know why it's called the scrum.

Go on, don't be shy!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                              Last edited: Jan 20, 2016