West Sussex Newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Paul West Sussex, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Paul West Sussex

Paul West Sussex Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All my name is Paul, moved int a fab new house in November with a lovely big garden on 3 sides, just purchased a mini lean two wall garden yesterday and looking forward to getting stuck into the Garden. I have grown tomatoes, Rubarb and Runner Beans from scratch this year, + Luppins and Empress of India.

Would like some advise on how to plan for seeds for next years flowers and anything I can do now to brighten the garden which is mainly shrubs.

Also how to you plan your vegtables to get them right for planting at the correct time?

Sorry its such a long post

2. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Paul, welcome to GC. I don`t know a thing about veggie growing but there is a site on this forum, Edible Gardening. I`m sure you will find all the help and info you need, all dispensed from a great and friendly team [​IMG]

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,915
    Hello Paul from West Sussex ane welcome to GC.

I'm afraid I won't be of much assistance to you and I don't "do" veggies and only do a few exotics from seed. I am a shrub / tree person of the Med kind. However, there are many veggie and seed folk here who will be delighted to advise you.

In the meantime, enjoy!

4. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lady of Leisure would like to try and grow exotic
    interesting plants, live on the coast and they seem to like the sea air and the sun (when we get it), what have you grown?

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,915
    Hi Paul

Mainly I have Bougainvillea (6 climbers, 1 shrub), Jacarandas (2), Oleanders (2), Tecomarias (2), Birds of Paradise and various Callistemons (Bottle Brushes). However, this past year I've got into grasses and Cannas. I love climbers so have Hardenbergias, Sollyas, Cobaea and Passifloras. From seed at the moment I'm doing Delonix reginae, Sesbania, Bauhinia galpini and a few unidentified climbers (we have an ID section here which is interesting).

Most of these plants will tolerate a certain amount of salt air as they grow them along the coast here. I am inland about 20 minutes.

Bet you wished you hadn't asked. [​IMG]

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Paul and a warm welcome from me too.

7. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lady thats fantastic thanks will definately look into some of those, and thanks for all the welcomes.

Paul

8. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi Paul
    and a big welcome from me, hope you get all the help you need,you will enjoy this friendly forum [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome Paul,

Weigela 'monet' pink are good for colour in the autumn, i now have three having seen pic's of them on here (sorry forgot who posted that one [​IMG] )

Budleja are also great if you have room for a tall (eventually) bush, attracts bee's and butterflies and i have one blue/purple and one dark purple.

Callistemon Citrinus Splendens is also another good one and is happy in most soils except chalky, this produces red large bottlebrush type heads.

Also red flowering penstemon 'schoenholzeri is a lowish growing perrenial that flowers thru to winter (well mine does) :D

Hey Lady - just noticed you have bottle brushes too [​IMG]

As for the vedgies Paul, i could do with a bit of advice there myself [​IMG] If you need any french red onion seeds or winter hardy lettuce let me know and i can pass them on :D

Also i have blue fountain grass seeds going spare, it looks quite spectacular and unusual, i have it next to my cordyline and windmill palm.

Welcome once again

10. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paula

Thanks for the post, sounds fantastic, what a brilliant forum I am getting even more excitied with the brilliant advise, would love some of the seeds if you have them (if thats what you mean)

Paul

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,915
    Hey ag evening! [​IMG]

I have Callistemon Viminalis, the weeping one, and Callistemon Flaming Fire, the brushless one where the leaves go bright red. I also have Melaleuca, a bottlebrush, but famous for Tea Tree Oil.

I fancy some of that blue fountain grass myself as I started a grass border last November. [​IMG] I'll send you my details next time we speak but no rush for me as I can't propagate anything in this heat! :D [​IMG]

12. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul and a very warm welcome to GC from me also, sorry don't know anything about growing veg just eating it!

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi p w s welcome to G C lots of advice on here.

15. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Of course you can have some seeds Paul, will PM you :D