1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet and Dry - Liatris Spicata

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Jun 13, 2006.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just been reading a book by Beth Chatto, in which she talks about Liatris Spicata as a choice plant for growing in her dry garden. And I am sure she is right! But it is also described in other places as a bog garden plant. Does anyone know it it really will tolerate both extremes?

Are there any other plants that are both dry garden and bog garden plants at the same time. I have a feeling Hemerocallis is.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I used to have kniphofia in a very dry part of the garden, and they thrived. I had to dig some of them out and dumped them in a barrel until I could think of something better. The barrel gradually filled up with rainwater and they survived and bloomed quite happily.

3. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have found Liatris liable to crown rot in wet ground. Mind you I haven't had a heap of luck with them anywhere. Good luck!

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Liz and Jazid. That's interesting about the Kniphofia. I suspect it will be difficult to get examples of this as no one in their right mind is going to try a bog garden plant in very dry soil or vice versa. But there are obviously some plants that can take both.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,864
    Must admit I haven't had my Liaris here in Portugal, thrived like nobody's business in Bucks but the Knipiofia I had in Bucks and was a beaut every every. Planted three here about three years ago, must admit under the almond tree, and they just thrive and bloom. I rarely think to water them so they take what they can get from the earth .. outside my garden walls. Only thing here is with the heat they don't bloom as long.

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've grown both white (Liatris pycnostachya 'Alba') and the purple variety (spicta). Don't know about bog or drought but I do know they are hardy. No problems with last winter. Left them in the ground and some are just begining to show white and purple tips.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Frogesque, thats way behind mine, which are already 10 inches high and I can feel flower buds, which is on the same timetable as last year. But I lifted mine over winter and kept them in a summerhouse, as I understood that they were not that hardy and we were expecting a bad winter. That may have given them a boost, as many things seem to be later this year. They are obviously hardier than I gave them credit for.

Edit: I read your post as implying the tips were only just emerging from the ground. On re-reading I think you are talking of flower tips - so ignore above comments. My apologies.

[ 16. June 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: PeterS ]

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep it's the flower spikes that are begining to show colour. Probably about 5" tall just now. When I planted them in spring last year they took forever to show and it was late autumn before they showed their true worth. This year they're much further forward so maybe they don't like disturbance.