Wet blasting a shed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jimcubs, May 27, 2020.

1. jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
    +598
    I was asked to paint my shed by anon who I live with ( no names to protect the guilty ), now the blue yes blue paint was sprayed on as it’s a big shed, has started to peel and fray as it’s a bit old but sturdy. So I thought how to take the retched stuff off without danger to me, I have a sand blaster kit I have used years ago with some shot left, but didn’t want dust everywhere and especially in my lungs.
    So I saw marcher do a wet sand blaster lance, now being a careful soul it was a few pennies so I looked around and turned to flea bay and chose what I thought would be a fine choice.
    I have a Karcher a K4 stated to run at 130 bar so should be up to it, so using the shot I had, I tried it on a section of my shed. I was quite surprised to see how easily the paint came off, in fact it was back to bare wood and ready for a proper shed coating
    The facts are it works best done on a hot day because with water you will get a bit wet also use goggles to keep shot out of eyes as it bounces a lot.
    The cost adapter for using is about £20, I am using now fine Glass beads to see if it’s any better and 25 kg is £17.
    I let the shot on the floor dry out and will sieve it and use again, not sure If I can do it with the glass beads but will see.
    The patch I have done took 15 minutes as I had to keep wiggling the bit in the shot as it was running dry every so often due to not having enough.

DB44BA2F-50AD-4DE2-91F7-C34D6AB912EB.jpeg A6E781A0-5508-435B-B3BD-D59A93130936.jpeg A53A8DCD-EC6E-4682-A62C-E10AC3733FC3.jpeg
    has anyone else tried this method and did you do anything different, would like to hear tips as well.

• Like Like x 1