1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What a waste of time....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What a waste of time....Gardener's World was last night I mean 'they' tried to show how Joe Swift got on this year with his allotment which started off from just a unloved patch to a little plot to be proud of.

The reason I say it was a waste of time is that half an hour just didn't cut it, the clips were here, there and all over the place which was a total mess. I think the programme could have allowed an hour or so for the show I mean there would have been plenty of clips to allow this surely.

For those of you that missed the programme here's the link below. Hel.xxx.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fpymf/Gardeners_World_Specials_2008_Joes_Allotment_Year/

2. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree it was hotch potch and needed to be longer and better put together

3. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    When the mini digger turned up to turn it over for him .. did he actually say it was the Council? Do the council do that sort of thing? Or was it the fact it was for the BBC comedy of errors??

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I can`t watch it any more, I can`t take any more of the totally fake set-up chats between gardeners nonsense.

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Not just me then, I thought it was just made up of bits that we had aready seen during the year. Seemed pretty pointless. 02

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The whole 'Joe's Allotment' is really just a joke I mean I don't believe for a minute Joe 'did' most of the work himself never mind the whole thing, I know fellow allotment holders will help you out now and again but not to the extent that Joe needed.

Winnie I had heard of the council clearing plots but that was only strimming the plots down I have never heard of them going as far as getting a digger in to do the grafting for you, although it would be nice if they all did that!:wink:

What we need is a honest to goodness salt of the earth kind of guy or lady for that matter to do an allotment show on the telly for us to follow their victories and failures along the way it doesn't need to be a TV star just a normal person who keeps the viewer stuck to their seats with their enthusiasm just like the good old days with Geoff Hamilton.

Being able to use recycle 'stuff' would be a huge bonus as well...after all we all need to tighten our belts more so these days.Hel.xxx.

7. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKn4wKM3w4[/media]

I much prefer the Scottish version of gardeners world "The Beechgrove Garden" admittedly some of the conversations are obviously scripted but at least there much more honest about things.

8. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

I prefer Beechgrove as well, especially as I worked with the head gardener in the fleet air arm

9. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    That's what I love about horticulture, everybody knows at least someone that's famous for it:hehe:, like my college tutor went to Kew with Alan titchmarsh

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is how its been all through their shows. They dont seem to show the allotment side of it for a long time just bits and pieces. I get all nice and comfy ready to watch the allotment bit and hey presto its gone. i dont think I will bother to watch it next time. I got Jo Swifts signature though at the NEC he is really a nice guy and very down to earth. It is not his fault they dont give him more viewing time on the allotment. We really ought to moan at the TV boffins.

11. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gardeners' World: Specials 2008: Joe's Allotment Year is no longer available. Programmes are available for a limited number of days after broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...llotment_Year/
    hellen just tryed to click on your link ... the above msg says it all

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    I do hope you have all written/phoned/e-mailed etc the BBC to tell them this. They will not do anything if you don't tell them. I'm not nagging just saying.

Although I'm not into allotments I know a teeny bit about them and know they take a lot of work.
    Like anything, if you are 'misled' about something it can put you off forever when in reality if you know what it entails you can see if you can do it - challenge versus dream!

So go on, moan. I have stopped watching programmes myself because I know they are a waste of time! At least if you tell them why you know you have said something.

Nagging over, only doing it cos I know it's such a special (and rare) programme for us on tv. Hope I haven't upset anyone but just imagine if 1000 members from here phoned/e-mailed them - woooo. They would start worrying.

cheers

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a waste of time as it goes in one ear and out the other so who do you go to next.:scratch:

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881