1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the secrets for propagating conifer cuttings

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Webmaster, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I have tried a few ways of doing cuttings, does anyone have any secrets to actually get success with conifer cuttings ???

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    semi-ripe have always worked best for me - but keeping the right humidity is a pain. I've been told, by people who ought to know :rolleyes: that climg-film as a cover, allowing no air circulation is a good move. I'm not convinced.....

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    I would like to know too. I have fair success with most things, but Conifers just do not seem to root, even when done exactly the way described in the books.

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That is what I mean Palustris, you follow all the guidelines, and it don't seem to work.

Speaking to someone from a local nursery, they said they have an 80% success rate, I didn't want to pry any further from them, but thought I'd ask on here [​IMG]

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I found keeping the right humidity was the hardest thing. The compost dried out really quickly for some reason. I found it best to put just 3 in a pot, fairly deep compost, usual mix with perlite, and the standard bag over the top was most effective. It worked with a cryptomeria I wanted to have from my old place - and a couple from the dozen I took did ok for a while - but they died off when the power to my greenhouse went off during the winter :( So I'll have to have another go sometime soon.

6. Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +823
    Bottom heat in a propagator with automatic spraying - easy! Actually got first two above but no spraying! So majority of cuttings are easy but never do coniferous material!! Yet.
    Cuttings generally I take, three at a time in deep cream pots (elm lea) Usually pot up together in larger pot as one. I bought a conical shaped drill bit (sorry but memory now very poor) The thing will cut hole in very thing material so drainage holes in much plastic containers rather than attempt sending it to recycling. Re-use is my motto! Though only delays sending I agree!