What can I grow in a secluded spot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jay, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We have a secluded piece of garden, it's behind the tool shed, and it's a small triangular piece about 3' or so, with a wall at the back. It has liner & pebbles on to stop the weeds but I'm wondering if a slender potted tree would do ok there, there isn't alot of good sunlight obviously but it's bright, and sheltered below the buildings. Any ideas anyone?

2. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jay

You can always find something to suit a space. How much light is available? Does it have to be in a pot and a tree? How about a climber like honeysuckle on a support? Smells nice and is easy peasy.

Give us more info and im sure we can come up with something to suit.

Cloudy

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] Hi jay, How about a weeping tree, there are many kinds but we have a weeping birch in a tub & it does just fine or a shrub magnolia or even a fruit tree grown for pots, then of course there is the twisted hazels,maples, like the acer family, there really are lots of different things you could grow there. If you want a tree though it should do fine if ti is a woodland type tree as they do well without direct sun. What do you think?? [​IMG]

[ 16. July 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Me - I'd go for one of the white barked birches (light and airy foliage and stems) - or a salix for their lovely pink stems in winter and grey foliage in summer - get a tree that is a few years old, and the potting shed will not cause too much shade - and if you've covered for weeds, it will help conserve moisture.

[ 16. July 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

6. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone! It gets a good light, it's not shady above the wall & shed but I did want at least 4 foot of tree so it gets the light it needs, and also it has to be in a pot to contain the roots.

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds fine, just make sure that its a big enough container, and you keep the tree watered and fed.

8. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Will do Fran, I plan to get half a barrel - maybe I'll have to empty one first though eh? LOL!

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL - just make sure you can see straight when your planting [​IMG]

10. Mooseas

Mooseas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Maybe a hydrangea peteolaris - they don't mind the shade and make a good climber - not particularly fast growing though. Or a passiflora - now they do grow like mad once established.
    Cheers
    Rob