1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What did YOU do in the garden/allotment Today/This Week?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Steve R, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I thought we should have a topic where we could all report what we are doing on a daily/weekly/periodical basis, it serves as a record for everyone (even yourself) as to when you sowed, pricked out, potted on, planted, harvested, pruned etc

Add to it anytime you like and refer back on your own notes, or see what others are doing or how successful things where for them. The smallest piece of info can help others.

Steve...:)

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Today I finished assembling and painted an Obelisk that I have built, this will be to grow SWeet Peas up and over, I've also made a salad leaves box out of some timber, painted it and will get some sown tomorrow in the greenhouse. I've also put up 6 hanging basket brackets.

I've watered everything in the greenhouse, seedlings (Tomatoes and Peppers) where quite thirsty and I've potted up some Dahlia's to get those started. I've also started a final dig-over of the bed where my seed potatoes will be going into next week (weather permitting).

3. adamlewis

adamlewis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Today i have been in the greenhouse, potted tomato and pepper seedlings from plugs, planted 2 strawberry plants in a growbag, clingfilmed my herb trays to encourage them. Transplanted some radishes so that i could rake out chickweed (identified for me here). Went around and cut, pulled and unrooted all the chickweed that i could find.

Watered everything in the greenhouse and made a drip feeder, that i need to redo as i made it and then read a how to : }

smiles
    adam

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,803
  5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Thanks Woo, but thats an account of one person...this is for ALL.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,803
    Hi Steve Thank you, I think that you will find that it has quite a few members with posts in Jazmines thread ,So we will leave both Threads open,If that is Ok with you,I did look at the thread before I posted:)and your Thread in this forum will probably get more viewing
    so a good Idea,I,m trying to be diplomatic here:hehe::lollol:

7. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Thankyou Woo, my thread was open for all comments but as long as we have one we can carry on with this one. :)
    Today in the garden I swept a little and did a bit of pruning of dead bits! It wasn't that warm here!

8. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1
    Planted my Tagetes and regrassed an area under my Syringa.

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :dh: This week I...... Pushed my onion sets back in again.. :lollol: Almost a daily task at present... :lollol:
    Put the closhes back over my spuds as they are forecasting bad weather..
    Did a last late sowing of sweetpeas in the green house..
    Potted up 1 pink & 1 blue hardy geranium..
    Sowed some Lobelia seeds.
    Potted up some Black beauty Lilies, Commelia, Yellow Iris & blue Iris
    Potted on my Lupins.... Plu 2 other plants I cannot for the life of remember their names though. Will add them tomorrow... :dh:

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Usual bit and bobs, that includes pootling around the garden with a cuppa and a ciggie.

But I did prick out my Gaillardia seeds yesterday and sorted out perennials still in pots into two groups - one for those plants I have a specific location for and the other for those plants I have no idea where to plant them!

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I have (with some help from OH) put up my new garden arch, and moved a small clematis that my OH grew from a plug last year, ready to meander on up the poles. I already have two climbing roses planted in preparation for the arch.

My Dad arrived with another mini greenhouse today, as I have filled the other one already. I'm not sure what's going on at the moment - he's spoiling me rather! (I suppose it could be the home-made cake he gets while he's here? My middle son has a peanut allergy so as well as trying to be the Carol Klein of the south, I'm having to be an aspiring Nigella and bake all my own cakes! It's like the bl**dy Good Life round here) We did some potting on together and he let my youngest help him with the watering. Made me feel very sentimental as some of my happiest memories are of pottering in the garden with my Dad as a little girl. Seems that after eighteen years of having nothing in common, we have something to share again. I should ring Jeremy Kyle and suggest gardening workshops as family therapy!! :hehe:

He also gave me loads of perennials that he sowed last autumn for me, so it was like a free trip to the nursery with home delivery. Yay!

I also mixed up some feed and gave all my newly emerging perennials a bit of a feed up, on Dad's recommendation. Lots to do this week before my mother in law arrives on Thursday for the Easter break. Cleaning (of course - only dull women have immaculate houses after all) and getting some tidying up done in the garden so she is suitably impressed with how it has changed since she was last here.

We had a female Black Redstart in the garden today. Really excited about that.. never seen one before.

Brilliant thread idea - it's nice to share.

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    On Saturday I shredded a mass of prunings and waste for the compost heaps and bins..I filled five barrow loads and tonight mixed in Horse manure, fresh from my bosses farm, by next weekend I'm expecting them to be brewing nicely.
    Last years similar mix was excellent.

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Today I sat indoors and stared out at the rain :( The 'lawn' would be better as a swimming pool now. Maybe I'll finally have an excuse to get rid of it altgether now.

14. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Yesterday we gave the shredder it's first airing as my OH had decided that the Hydrangeas (we've got/had 8 or 9 large bushes) needed drastically thinning and the lawns were strewn with cuttings. I meanwhile clambered up the ladder and chopped back the Petiolaris (climbing hydrangea) that was making it's way over the gutter and up the roof. These cuttings went in the shredder too.

Next, after a cuppa in the gravel garden we decided it needed a tidy as the thorns on the Pyracanthus along the wall were digging in our backs and the Pennisetum needed the dead stuff raking out.

Then, still with a little energy left, we set to, making a start on cutting down the ivy that had swarmed over the remains of a flowering cherry that was dead - from honey fungus - when we arrived 10 years ago*.

The brown bin was filled to the brim and the rest went into old plastic sacks for disposal. No, not for the compost heap - it's all too woody and with chickens and house rabbits(!) there's plenty on it already. Then a soak in a relaxing bath and collapse.

*(Once all the ivy is cleared (a job for next weekend perhaps) I shall cut the stump dopwn to the ground, dig out the Hebe that is too leggy to be beautiful anymore and plant a Buxus wave).

Quite enough for one day!

Chris:snz:

15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    In the last couple of weeks I've drained cleaned and refilled the "frog pond" (frogs kept in a bucket during the process), tidied up the lily and returned the frogs, three lots of spawn already and more to come.
    All the roses, azaleas, rhodos and camellias have been sprayed and fed. The lawn has had it's liquid "three in one" and I've replaced a few small areas where the squirrels were digging in the autumn with new turf. I've vacced up the last of the leaves.
    I've given our tea-house it's annual coat of Dulux Woodsheen, which has kept it in perfect condition for the last 23 years, despite it being built of soft wood.

There you go if you haven't seen it. If you have, "look away now..."

I've yet to jet-wash the two patios, path and drive, probably next week, if it's too wet for golf. I'll probably have to do a bit of re-pointing afterwards.

All the pruning was done about three weeks ago and the wisterias between Christmas and the New Year.

So I'm reasonably on top of things at the moment.

Jobs still to be done.

I want to edge the long border with pavers similar to those I have round the three trees in the lawn. This will avoid the necessity of "edging" the lawn with a strimmer as I'll be able to run my Flymo over it. Thus reducing "mowing time."

I'll also replace the roofing felt on my tea-house. It's still water-tight but I had to apply a couple of "preventative" patches last year. I want the replacement to "see me out" if possible.